• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The emancipation of minors through marriage -- to an adult?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xEponina

I live in California.

I am aware that a minor may be emancipated upon marriage with the consent of their parent/guardians(s). What I am unaware of is if it is unlawful for the minor to marry a person who is over the age of eighteen. I don't believe that it is considered illegal for an emancipated minor to engage in sexual intercourse, including with an adult. So if a minor marries an adult with the consent of their parents and the two have had no sexual contact prior, will the marriage, emancipation, and following relations of the couple be legal?

xEponina

This is entirely a hypothetical questions, but for the purposes of this question, the minor is sixteen years old and the adult is twenty-five. I was unaware that specific age mattered. Is it not simply a matter of minor/adult, 18/not yet 18, and such? Of course, courts would be less lenient if the relationship were between a couple with a very large age difference (though it seems ridiculous that it is so). I am a curious minor researching into my emancipation rights.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
This is entirely a hypothetical questions, but for the purposes of this question, the minor is sixteen years old and the adult is twenty-five. I was unaware that specific age mattered. Is it not simply a matter of minor/adult, 18/not yet 18, and such? Of course, courts would be less lenient if the relationship were between a couple with a very large age difference (though it seems ridiculous that it is so). I am a curious minor researching into my emancipation rights.
You are aware that that could very easily be a crime? Right? So Hypothetically I hope the adult has a criminal attorney on retainer to get them out of statutory rape/sexual assault or other charges.

xEponina

You are aware that that could very easily be a crime? Right? So Hypothetically I hope the adult has a criminal attorney on retainer to get them out of statutory rape/sexual assault or other charges.
I would like to point out to you a few words in the passages of my message above:

"Hypothetical"

"Emancipated"

"no sexual contact prior"

There is no need to be confrontational. If you weren't (which seems unlikely), then forgive me, but it seems that you had a little problem with reading the first message. It was stated with a question mark. Is your answer that as far as you know, marriage of a minor to an adult with parental consent is statuatory rape? I was under the impression that statuatory rape had something to do with sex.

The question is that seeing as with parental consent a minor can marry and thus become emancipated, and being emancipated is no longer without the power of 'consent', is the marriage and any following relations legal or not?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I would like to point out to you a few words in the passages of my message above:

"Hypothetical"

"Emancipated"

"no sexual contact prior"

There is no need to be confrontational. If you weren't (which seems unlikely), then forgive me, but it seems that you had a little problem with reading the first message. It was stated with a question mark. Is your answer that as far as you know, marriage of a minor to an adult with parental consent is statuatory rape? I was under the impression that statuatory rape had something to do with sex.

The question is that seeing as with parental consent a minor can marry and thus become emancipated, and being emancipated is no longer without the power of 'consent', is the marriage and any following relations legal or not?

It does have something to do with sex. HOWEVER usually underage marriage also has something to do with sex. I can read. I can also read between the lines. Now, I am not going to waste anymore time on your HYPOTHETICAL question. Have a good day.

xEponina

It does have something to do with sex. HOWEVER usually underage marriage also has something to do with sex. I can read. I can also read between the lines. Now, I am not going to waste anymore time on your HYPOTHETICAL question. Have a good day.
Hm. How very wise you are. Here I am asking a question and of course, you know what I really mean by my questions--I'm sure you know that about everyone who posts here. And here I was hoping that immature high school antics ceased in the adult world. Silly me. Thank you very much for not wasting any more of either of our precious time on my hypothetical question. Seeing as you spend your time insulting people on the internet, you must have a very busy and purposeful life. I would hate to interrupt it further.

Anyhow, this isn't about Ohiogal and her opinions of me, this is about an actual question that no one has yet answered. If anyone actually wants to give a comprehensive, intelligent answer (as in yes and no, accompanied by reasoning), I would appreciate it greatly.

las365

If anyone actually wants to give a comprehensive, intelligent answer (as in yes and no, accompanied by reasoning), I would appreciate it greatly.
Do your homework by yourself.

xEponina

Oh! I've made a mistake again, apparently. The name "FreeAdvice" must have misled me. I thought that this forum was for actual answers. I've researched quite a bit, thank you, and have not found this particular question to be addressed. So I asked here--oops! I guess this is just a place for people to act badly under the pretense that they know something that you don't.

I'm sorry that I have wasted all of your time.

Just Blue

Oh! I've made a mistake again, apparently. The name "FreeAdvice" must have misled me. I thought that this forum was for actual answers. I've researched quite a bit, thank you, and have not found this particular question to be addressed. So I asked here--oops! I guess this is just a place for people to act badly under the pretense that they know something that you don't.

This site is for people with ACTUAL issues that require assistance. The VOLUNTEERS of this site are not going to waste time with hypotheticals. Do your own research.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Trust me. I know lots of things that you don't. Including the answer to your question.

Just Blue

I would be more apt to "believe you" if you were able to tell me the answer that you claim to know.
OhioGal is a site verified attorney and a personal friend of mine ...Whether you "believe" her or not is not our concern. Do your own research. Google is your friend.

Perky

I don't believe that it is considered illegal for an emancipated minor to engage in sexual intercourse, including with an adult.
I know I shouldn't bother with this poster, but this statement jumped out at me. Why would you think this is true? Generally, the purpose of emancipation is to allow under-age citizens who are living on their own to legally enter into contracts. Do you think emancipated 16 year olds are legally allowed to drink alcohol? That statement is just absurd!

xEponina

Hm, well, good luck to her. Perhaps if she wasn't going to give me an answer she could have refrained from posting here.

I agree, usually it is. Perhaps I am not as apt with searching as I formerly thought, but I have not been able to find this information. As you are presumably people that should know the answers to my questions, I came here as I part of my research. I don't see how very difficult it is, assuming an answer is already known to you, to just tell me. What are you trying to do, teach me a lesson? Is it only texts that I am allowed to access, and I should learn not to pick the brains of people who know more about a subject than I? What a terrible, ignorant world that would be.

I am sorry that you do not waste time on hypothetical questions. If I had known, I would not have asked. You've all posted enough here arguing with me, I would have guessed that you had more time on your hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">