• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

enforcing a signed agreement in wis.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

megram

My girlfriend's family is so controlling she won't leave home to get married, even though we have a child. They want me to live with them, I won't, and she won't leave them. It was my turn to claim our daughter for taxes, girlfriend signed the form giving me permission, but her mother claimed her on her taxes. Girlfriend gave me permission to claim daughter, as a dependent and for the earned income credit, because I have to pay all of the hospital bill (she doesn't have to contribute). Her mother said she did it because they live with them and she makes more money...but girlfriend pays rent and is on the lease, so how can the mother claim her? My girlfriend claimed her last year, it was agreed verbally and by written agreement that we would take turns claiming her. I learned to get things in writting, we make an agreement about something, then her family decides otherwise and what they say goes. My girlfriend is 25 yrs. old, says she'll never leave her mother, and here I am always on the sidelines waiting to make a life with her while she lets her family decide her life. Is there anything I can do? I was counting on that refund to pay the hospital bill. I'm in college full-time, work full-time, but won't make enough for all these bills until I graduate. Thank you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Without a court order for support, visitation, and custody (and an order that includes tax provisions), mother of "Mama's Girl" can do whatever she likes, subject only to the I.R.S. Rules and Regulations.

Without signed court orders, your written agreements with Mama's Girl are useless and meaningless under the law, and her mother knows this.

So, it's time for you to straighten Mother and Mama's Girl out, and get into an attorney's office so that the proper Petition can be filed, and court order signed by a judge can be obtained. Until you do this, expect to be trampled on at every turn.

Also, it's time for you to forget about Mama's Girl and move on with your life with someone else - - if you can afford it, both financially and emotionally.

IAAL

M

megram

Thank you for your help, IAAL. I've tried my best to make it work, but I guess you're right, I no future with this girl.
She did sign an irs form to let me claim our daughter this year, does that count? (in addition to the hand-written one) I've paid support since she was born, even before the court order, I have joint custody and was stuck with the entire hospital bill, which I make bi-weekly payments on.
Anyway, I really do appreciate your advice, and am going to take it. I hate to have my daughter grow up like that (my now ex-girlfriend has have permission to even leave the house with our daughter, for example), and would like to get custody, but I know I have to graduate and have a good job to have even a snowball's chance...girlfriend's grandparents own most of this city and part of the surrounding region.
Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">