• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

magict13

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My father is currently under hospice care and has no life insurance to cover the costs of funeral expenses. He is currently seperated from his current wife (not my mother) and I was wondering who becomes financially responsible for his burial expenses and debt when there is no estate to fall back on?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My father is currently under hospice care and has no life insurance to cover the costs of funeral expenses. He is currently seperated from his current wife (not my mother) and I was wondering who becomes financially responsible for his burial expenses and debt when there is no estate to fall back on?
If there is no estate, then his creditors are SOL unless any of the debts also include his wife's name, and in that case she would be responsible for that particular debt.

Funeral expenses would be the burden of the party arranging the funeral. That generally means the deceased next of kin....ie his children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">