• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eviction Rights for Domestic Partner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tony612

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

My domestic partner of 4 1/2 years broke up with me on Sunday, and said get out. I am staying with friends for the time being, but I was wondering what my rights are if I want to go back home.

These are the current facts:

1. She is the homeowner and has been for approx. 20 years.

2. After telling her that I didn't want to give up my apartment in case she decided to throw me out, she stated she would never do that.

3. While she pays the mortgage and insurance, I pay all the utility bills and most of the entertainment.

4. it is listed as my legal residence on my Drivers License and through the post office, as well as on the current US Census and on my passport.

5. I am listed as a point of contact in case of emergency.

6. There have been no cases of domestic violence, except from her occasionally punching my shoulder, arm, or back when she's frustrated or angry. On rare occasions when she shrieks at me, I shrug it off, where if our roles are reversed she claims I'm verbally assaulting/threatening her.

7. On occasion, when arguing, I would stand in front of her to block a door so she could hear me out, I would then move and let her go on her way, but I have never touched her in anger, or physically or emotionally attacked her in any way.

8. I am listed as a beneficiary and am on her insurance policy as her domestic partner. I am also on her health insurance.

9. All of my earthly possessions (clothes, electronics, food, furniture, camping equipment, storage containers, bicycles, e.t.c.) are in the home, and I have no access to them.

10. For months there has been alienation of affection in the home toward me.

Am I legally entitled to go back to the home and stay as long as there are no domestic incidents?

Last edited:

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

My domestic partner of 4 1/2 years broke up with me on Sunday, and said get out. I am staying with friends for the time being, but I was wondering what my rights are if I want to go back home.

These are the current facts:

1. She is the homeowner and has been for approx. 20 years.
Okay.
Tony612 said:
2. After telling her that I didn't want to give up my apartment in case she decided to throw me out, she stated she would never do that.
A few years ago? Things change, as you see. It's not legally relevant.
Tony612 said:
3. While she pays the mortgage and insurance, I pay all the utility bills and most of the entertainment.
Okay.
You'd have to look up your state's laws, and perhaps your city/county laws, to define your tenancy.
Tony612 said:
4. it is listed as my legal residence on my Drivers License and through the post office, as well as on the current US Census and on my passport.
I'm pretty sure you're a legal tenant. You may still be evicted, but it must be done properly.
Tony612 said:
5. I am listed as a point of contact in case of emergency.

6. There have been no cases of domestic violence, except from her occasionally punching my shoulder, arm, or back when she's frustrated or angry. On rare occasions when she shrieks at me, I shrug it off, where if our roles are reversed she claims I'm verbally assaulting/threatening her.

7. On occasion, when arguing, I would stand in front of her to block a door so she could hear me out, I would then move and let her go on her way, but I have never touched her in anger, or physically or emotionally attacked her in any way.

8. I am listed as a beneficiary and am on her insurance policy as her domestic partner. I am also on her health insurance.
All irrelevant.
You'll need new health insurance soon, I'd bet.
Tony612 said:
9. All of my earthly possessions (clothes, electronics, food, camping equipment, storage containers, bicycles, e.t.c.) are in the home, and I have no access to them.
That's the "tenant" stuff I've been mentioning. You absolutely have the right to get your stuff. You just need to do it correctly.
Tony612 said:
10. For months there has been alienation of affection in the home toward me.
Not the correct use of the legal term, and irrelevant anyway...what you mean is, "we broke up." Very normal.
Tony612 said:
Am I legally entitled to go back to the home and stay as long as there are no domestic incidents?
Definitely.

ecmst12

She has to give you 30 days notice in writing. You have the right to go back until she gives you the notice and the notice expires. But go back and start packing and looking for a new place. You don't have the right to stay forever.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">