• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-Boyfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hawkeychick

I am not sure I'm in the right place but would VERY much appreciate your help.

Last year I broke up with a man I had been seeing for approximately two years prior.

In April (2000) he bought me an engagement ring worth $1000. He knew I was seeing someone else. He told me it was mine whether I answered no or yes. At the time I gave him no answer as I was unsure of what I wanted. I felt guilty, but kept the ring.

Later in May when he knew I was very much interested in the other man, but he refused to let go, I spoke with him on the phone. I mentioned I was short on cash and he insisted on sending me money. I tried to tell him not too, but he insisted. I didn't know how much. In the mail I received a $500 money order. I really needed it. I used it to pay bills.

I finally broke up with him permanently in August. In September he requested I send him the ring back. I sent it back to him just last week.

Today in my email I received a message from him saying he was going to seek a lawyer because he had not yet received the ring or the $500 he "lent" me the previous year.

Do I have a reason to be frightened?

Does anyone have any advise? It is VERY appreciated.

Thank you,
Emme

H

HumorMe!

$500? And no little note saying it was a loan? Send him a nice note expressing your gratitude for the generosity of his gift. Explain to him that you are sorry he is finding it so difficult to let go of you and you hope he finds happiness elsewhere. Don't say anything else.

hm

H

hawkeychick

Nope... No little note. No anything. Just an envelope and a money order. (AGAIN..I did NOT ask for anything! - He insisted on sending it to me.)

I am afraid to respond to him at all. I'm afraid anything I say might come up in future "legal" conversations.

I think he did have a hard time letting go. But, I think the primary reason he is threatening me is a lack of money on his part. Just a guess of course.

Still, I really hope he comes to his senses and doesn't put us through something ridiculous.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">