• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex fiance refuses to return personal property.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pricepl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

My fiance recently ended our engagement just days after asking me to start a family and trying to get her pregnant. Since then i've discovered she has been cheating on me with another man for months. We lived together for aprox. a year and i moved out and took nothing but a suitcase with a few clothes. When i moved in i took all of my personal belongings with me and stored them in her garage. IAll of my possessions are still in her home.. Everything i own including furniture, clothes, guns, guitars, music equipment and electronics, appliances, and personal items. In all more than $20,000 in value. I have documented evidence in an email she sent me claiming she was just needing some time off and would take care of my things until i could make arrangements to move them. Now she is refusing to allow me to return and collect my belongings and now claims they arent even there. She claims i took it all when i left which is an outright lie. What are my legal options to get my property returned to me, and if she has in fact thrown it all out can i sue for my losses or should i press criminal charges for theft? With guns being involved would that not me a felony offense on her part?

FarmerJ

Send her a certified letter telling her you do have a complete inventory of your personal property left in her care and you expect to hear from her in the next 3 or 4 days to make arrangements to remove your things or you will have no choice but to file a police report and sue her for the things , and if she doesnt contact you DO IT. If she refuses to pick up this letter it will be returned to you , do not open it , leave it sealed and in tact since you would want to show a court that you sent notice to get your things back and she has failed to pick up her mail, she can tell the court what her weak excuse is for not picking up mail, not that it will matter alot to the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">