• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex girl signed my name stole my car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjohnnyboyy

my name is John and live in O>C> Ca I put car in her name for insurance purposes when I went over seas in case something happened to me (in military} then took it out of her name she and put it back in mine..when I returned its been in my name for 4 years It was put in her name went i went to afaganistan when i returned it was put back in my name. Left again and when I returned found out she signed my release on pink and put it back in hers and said she sold it. dmv says that it is still in her name and does not show sold Please advise there was no insurance fraud just wanted her to have it if i did not return

Last edited:

justalayman

we need more!!!!!

don't use the "preview" button that is actually a "delete my post" button hidden there by an evil genius and nobody in admin has figured out how to change it.

Silverplum

my name is John and live in O>C> Ca I put car in her name for insurance purposes its been in my name for 4 years when we broke up she took it out of impound which it was towed and says she sold it the dmv says it is still her name I think she has it hidden. she did sign of the pink back to me but now wont admit it
If the car is in her name, it's hers. The DMV record is the Official Record, so I'm saying she owns the car.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Kind of sucks when your insurance fraud comes back to bite you in the butt...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If the crime of forgery has been committed, you should contact the police and criminal prosecutor.
No crime of forgery occurred. OP transferred title of the vehicle to somebody else and said somebody disposed of their vehicle in the manner in which they saw fit.

justalayman

You have a couple issues there.

It might be able to prove equitable title is yours if you can prove you paid for the car and the only reason it was titled in her name was due to your insurance fraud.

That brings us to the other problem; the insurance fraud. The courts tend to deny assisting a criminal in their actions. If you google "clean hands doctrine", you will be able to understand why a court could (should) refuse to help.

If she signed the pink slip, how is it that you did not register it in your name?

Oh, that's right, you chose to continue the insurance fraud and left it in her name. Not good for you/

Best of luck. The cops won't help because legally, it was her car. The DMV won't help because legally, it was her car. Your only recourse is to sue her under a claim of equitable title. Good luck on that. Maybe some gloves would help??

single317dad

No crime of forgery occurred. OP transferred title of the vehicle to somebody else and said somebody disposed of their vehicle in the manner in which they saw fit.
Perhaps I misunderstood the OP. I read it as she illegally signed his name to release the title from him and put it in her name (a second time). If that is not what occurred, then of course there is no forgery.

jjohnnyboyy

You have a couple issues there.
I put car in her name for insurance purposes when I went over seas in case something happened to me (in military} then took it out of her name she and put it back in mine..when I returned its been in my name for 4 years It was put in her name went i went to afaganistan when i returned it was put back in my name. Left again and when I returned found out she signed my release on pink and put it back in hers and said she sold it. dmv says that it is still in her name and does not show sold Please advise there was no insurance fraud just wanted her to have it if i did not return

Silverplum

I put car in her name for insurance purposes when I went over seas in case something happened to me (in military} then took it out of her name she and put it back in mine..when I returned its been in my name for 4 years It was put in her name went i went to afaganistan when i returned it was put back in my name. Left again and when I returned found out she signed my release on pink and put it back in hers and said she sold it. dmv says that it is still in her name and does not show sold Please advise there was no insurance fraud just wanted her to have it if i did not return
Thank you for your service. :)

You had good intentions, and she screwed you. I'm sorry about that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">