• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex Girlfriend Suing Me for Breaking Up with Her

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marnold2000

This is in Texas.

Ex girlfriend, who i saw about 4 times a month and never lived with is suing me for breaking up with her and for emotional stress etc for $10K. It's a ludicrous lawsuit but hitting at a very bad time.

Question:

1) Does she stand a chance in court?
2) Would i be able to handle this without an attorney if i can't really afford one?
3) If by some chance they won, if i filed BK would that keep me from having to pay it.

Thanks so much!

Proserpina

This is in Texas.

Ex girlfriend, who i saw about 4 times a month and never lived with is suing me for breaking up with her and for emotional stress etc for $10K. It's a ludicrous lawsuit but hitting at a very bad time.

Question:

1) Does she stand a chance in court?
2) Would i be able to handle this without an attorney if i can't really afford one?
3) If by some chance they won, if i filed BK would that keep me from having to pay it.

Thanks so much!

Have you actually been served? If yes, exactly what is she suing for?

marnold2000

she said i would receive it tomorrow. basically for emotional trauma because i was dating someone else at the same time. i don't owe her any money or anything like that. she has been slandering me on public internet forums and my work website

thank you for responding, i've never been sued in my life and this is very disconcerting.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
she said i would receive it tomorrow. basically for emotional trauma because i was dating someone else at the same time. i don't owe her any money or anything like that. she has been slandering me on public internet forums and my work website

thank you for responding, i've never been sued in my life and this is very concerting.
Let's see if you get anything tomorrow. I have a feeling she's just poking at you.

marnold2000

Let's see if you get anything tomorrow. I have a feeling she's just poking at you.
she has money and an attorney on call because she is sue happy. i would bet its a 95% certainty as she is unstable emotionally. i will report back once i get it tomorrow. thanks!

marnold2000

Just received this from her after a meeting with her attorney:

If you will agree to $5,000, I will drop this and you won't have to worry about bankruptcy. If not, I will pursue more and drag everyone you know into this mess.

Filing bankruptcy doesn't bode well with potential employers and/or clients.

Revise the agreement to 5k and let's move on.

You know me well enough to know that I will not let this go otherwise.

Proserpina

If you will agree to $5,000, I will drop this and you won't have to worry about bankruptcy. If not, I will pursue more and drag everyone you know into this mess.

Oh really? She told you her lawyer told you her that or did that came directly from her lawyer? Do you have her lawyer's contact info?

Because what she's just done likely carries a criminal penalty.

marnold2000

Oh really? She told you her lawyer told you her that or did that came directly from her lawyer? Do you have her lawyer's contact info?

Because what she's just done likely carries a criminal penalty.
i have a feeling that she talked to her attorney who probably advised her that if i file BK she is likely to receive nothing or nothing for a long time. she is just trying to hurt me and knows that while i am building a new business that i am cash poor right now. otherwise i would just pay her to go away. i offered her $2500 to go away but she wouldnt take it

LdiJ

Who had the meeting with her attorney? Her, or you? If it was her, then I can just about guarantee that her attorney told her that she has no where to go with this, so she is trying to get SOMETHING out of you.

This is borderline blackmail in my opinion. I would consider having a talk with the police.

I knew a woman like this once. She did these kinds of things to everyone she knew. If you made her mad at all she would threaten all kinds of havoc if you didn't give in and give her what she wanted...and if there wasn't anything she wanted, she would just do her best to make your life miserable. However, eventually someone stood up to her and she actually got arrested. She spent three nights in jail and was eventually given probation and a strict warning to never do anything like that again, and she actually stopped.

One time she sent CPS, Animal Control and the Police to my house all based on a perceived slight.

In any case, talk to the police. It certainly cannot hurt you and it might even help you.

Proserpina

i have a feeling that she talked to her attorney who probably advised her that if i file BK she is likely to receive nothing or nothing for a long time. she is just trying to hurt me and knows that while i am building a new business that i am cash poor right now. otherwise i would just pay her to go away. i offered her $2500 to go away but she wouldnt take it
I'll be blunt.

STOP IT. Block her calls, forget she exists. She has NO CASE against you - if you must insist on contact, ask her for the contact information for her attorney so you may speak with him directly. If she refuses, there's your answer. And if she does supply information, ask her attorney under WHICH STATUTE s/he believes there is a cause of action.

I'd forward to message she sent, too.

But y'know something, marnold? I'm getting the oddest feeling that you're not necessarily the guy involved here. Hmm.

marnold2000

thanks for the advice. i am most certainly the party involved here. i have no experience with this stuff which is why im asking for advice. she is now wanting $2500 by years end and another $2500 by end of february to make this end.

Silverplum

Posts 5 & 6 are one minute apart, and you spoke to her/received an email or text in that space of time?

Remarkable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">