• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex girlfriend trying to come get some household items...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

good72dad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

After she broke it off over 3 years ago and hasn't even been around here in almost 4 years, my ex girlfriend wants to come get several household items that were gifts for the house. She never lived here and her name has never been on anything to do with this house, the reason being is cause she was and still is married. Has been for about 25 years. She is suppose to be filing a lawsuit on my this week so I was wondering if she had any grounds to stand on. This all came about cause I recently got serious with someone else and she found out so she is mad or jealous.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

It sounds like she left 2 years ago and is attempting to break it off now, actually. Your response to the judge is you have none of her possessions. You only have things she gave you. Demand she produce receipts for the items she claims you have of hers. You can also request the magistrate apportion anything he feels due her according to the items current age and useful life.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

After she broke it off over 2 years ago and hasn't even been around here in almost 3 years, my ex girlfriend wants to come get several household items that were gifts for the house. She never lived here and her name has never been on anything to do with this house, the reason being is cause she was and still is married. Has been for about 25 years. She is suppose to be filing a lawsuit on my this week so I was wondering if she had any grounds to stand on. This all came about cause I recently got serious with someone else and she found out so she is mad or jealous.
If these were gifts for the house, and she didn't take anything with her when she left, then she pretty much acknowledged that they never really belonged to her. There's also the issue of abandonment, especially since she made no claim and said nothing about these items for 3 years. Funny how after all that time she suddenly decides she must have them and is willing to sue to get them.

good72dad

It sounds like she left 2 years ago and is attempting to break it off now, actually. Your response to the judge is you have none of her possessions. You only have things she gave you. Demand she produce receipts for the items she claims you have of hers. You can also request the magistrate apportion anything he feels due her according to the items current age and useful life.
She claims to have receipts for some of the items. Everything was bought 6 or 7 years ago so it's not like anything is new. I didn't see or speak to her for about 8 or 9 months when she first broke it off, then she started calling once a week or every two weeks and I seen her a few times. After that she I might have heard from her once or twice a month for 7 or 8 months then she just stopped talking to me again, so this past February made a year since I had last seen her. And when she found out I had moved on and started seeing someone else she decides to try an come back. She told me a little over 3 years ago she was breaking it off with me and she even moved back in with her husband, but I think she may have recently moved back out again cause she told me she was seeing someone else..

Last edited:

single317dad

The correct legal term is "go pound sand".

If you want to be theatrical about it, tell her she's welcome to pick her stuff up upon payment of the storage fee. Or you sold it all at a garage sale for $5 to recoup some of your losses. Or it broke a year ago and went out with the garbage. You get the point; get creative here.

Otherwise, just stop answering her calls. Why would you continue to tolerate someone you haven't been in a relationship with for quite some time?

good72dad

After looking back at pics and phone records it was actually in 2010 when she broke it off, so it's been over 3 years since she broke it off and over 4 years since she has even been to the house cause the last few months we were together I was going to her house. We live 2 1/2 hours apart. Anyway, I guess I'll be dealing with it in court cause that's just the type of person she is. She has money and things the can just run over people when she wants.

ecmst12

If you get court papers, go to court and fight her, I don't think she has much chance of winning. Short of that, don't speak to her.

Bgood2me

I am not sure but I am trowing it out there. Isn't the Statute of Limitations for a Civil Suit 2 years?

Something to look into in your State.

Forgive me. I have a fever and I have been sick for over one week. At my wits end with being ill although I hope that this is helpful.

single317dad

I am not sure but I am trowing it out there. Isn't the Statute of Limitations for a Civil Suit 2 years?

Something to look into in your State.

Forgive me. I have a fever and I have been sick for over one week. At my wits end with being ill although I hope that this is helpful.
SoL varies widely based on jurisdiction and type of case.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C516.HTM

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">