• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex girlfriend's extortion attempt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Always somethin

I live in Florida.

During the summer of 2009 I moved a woman from 3 hours away to Florida so we could be together. We moved everything she owned in a Penske truck to my home in Florida. I had room for everything in my apartment except for her living room set, and a queen mattress. We decided they could be stored at my place of employment in the outside storage unit. Everything worked out fine.

A month later I uncovered her drug addictions, and interests in another man so I told her to leave. She moved back to her home town with her parents (3 hours away). I told her she needs to make arrangements to pickup up all of her belongings soon, and I was alright leaving them in my apartment while she made arrangements for pickup.

Unfortunately I lost my job and was forced to move back to my hometown (closer to where her parents live, only 1 hour away). Preparations were made to pick up another Penske truck (larger than the first one) on Saturday to move back to my hometown. The plan was to relocate both hers and mine belongs back to my hometown. I contacted an ex coworker on the Thursday before to let them know I was going to pick up her living room furniture and mattress on Saturday during my big move. The coworker informed me that the regional director and district manager were on sight and said it's a violation of company policy to store non-company items on sight, and if I didn't pick up the items today they would be tossed outside the back for anyone to pickup. I pleaded with them to allow me Saturday, as I had no truck and being in a strange town no friends to call on for help. I confirmed through another co worker the following day the items were put out back and are now gone, they SAID they didn't know who took them.

So, at the time there wasn't enough time to tell the ex that her stuff was going to be removed and I didn't have the ability to do anything about it. No, I never called her fearing rage as she has a razor sharp tongue and very verbally abusive. So, my bad for not calling her.

The moving day Saturday came to pass, so I packed up everything in my apartment (hers and mine) and relocated it to my hometown. My belongings were moved into a family home, and everything of hers I put into a paid storage unit. I paid the first two months and emailed her that I would not pay anything more. I honestly didn't want to move anything of hers and wanted to leave it all behind. Guess I thought I was doing her a favor for her to not have to drive 3 hours to get her stuff, and only drive 1 hour.

When she finally picked up everything 3 months later she called asking where her living room and mattress was. I told her the story and to contact a particular coworker at my ex-employer for additional information. So she did.

Well, a Sheriffs officer shows up to my house the same day questioning me about the furniture saying it was grand theft and I can go to jail for it. Apparently, the ex coworker took the furniture for herself thinking it was ok because someone else would come to get it if she didn't (they threw it out behind a major strip mall - high traffic area). When my ex contacted that coworker, she told the ex that I SOLD the furniture to her to avoid getting in trouble for having possession of stolen merchandise. How can I sell something that I didn't have possession of when even my ex market manager verified I tried to convince the regional director to allow me the Saturday pickup?

Here's where it get's interesting.

Today I get an email (3 weeks after the visit from the sheriffs officer) and it says...

Either pay me 5750.00 or I am pressing charges for felony theft and you will go to jail. She also went on to explain she is suing me for damages during shipment of her bedroom suit. She states it's damaged beyond repair, but most of that was done when we moved her down there the first time. She claims she has receipts of the purchase of the missing items, and the damaged bedroom suit totaling 11,500.00, but said she was being nice to settle for half of the bought value. Now, I have seen this furniture and was in the furniture business when I moved her down there. Nothing was worth anything CLOSE to half that amount brand new!

Here's a tidbit of info about her situation after I made her leave. She moves back in with her parents, has a 4 year old son, no job, immediately begins seeing the guy she broke up with right before we got together, and get's pregnant with his child. Now they just moved into their own place, he is the only one working and they have no money left over. She won't go looking for a job (same thing she did to me). I know all of this because the exes sister (who hates her) keeps me informed with this info since the craziness began.

Anyway, I denied any payment to her and let her know that I have witnesses to prove my innocence.

So, other than not calling her immediately when her stuff was going to get thrown out, what have I done wrong? How can I get arrested for felony theft when I'm not the one who stole her stuff (nor sell it) and have witnesses to prove my innocence?

I worry because I have recently returned to college and I am a 4.0 GPA student, not a thief. I do not want to risk my future career in radiography due to a drug addict, cheater, and liar. Please advise!

Last edited:

Proserpina

I live in Florida.

During the summer of 2009 I moved a woman from 3 hours away to Florida so we could be together. We moved everything she owned in a Penske truck to my home in Florida. I had room for everything in my apartment except for her living room set, and a queen mattress. We decided they could be stored at my place of employment in the outside storage unit. Everything worked out fine.

A month later I uncovered her drug addictions, and interests in another man so I told her to leave. She moved back to her home town with her parents (3 hours away). I told her she needs to make arrangements to pickup up all of her belongings soon, and I was alright leaving them in my apartment while she made arrangements for pickup.

Unfortunately I lost my job and was forced to move back to my hometown (closer to where her parents live, only 1 hour away). Preparations were made to pick up another Penske truck (larger than the first one) on Saturday to move back to my hometown. The plan was to relocate both hers and mine belongs back to my hometown. I contacted an ex coworker on the Thursday before to let them know I was going to pick up her living room furniture and mattress on Saturday during my big move. The coworker informed me that the regional director and district manager were on sight and said it's a violation of company policy to store non-company items on sight, and if I didn't pick up the items today they would be tossed outside the back for anyone to pickup. I pleaded with them to allow me saturday, as I had no truck and being in a strange town no friends to call on for help. I confirmed through another co worker the following day the items were put out back and are now gone, they didn't know who took them.

So, at the time there wasn't enough time to tell the ex that her stuff was going to be removed and I didn't have the ability to do anything about it. No, I never called her fearing rage as she has a razor sharp tongue and very verbally abusive. So, my bad for not calling her.

The moving day Saturday came to pass, so I packed up everything in my apartment (hers and mine) and relocated it to my hometown. My belongings were moved into a family home, and everything of hers I put into a paid storage unit. I paid the first two months and emailed her that I would not pay anything more. I honestly didn't want to move anything of hers and wanted to leave it all behind. Guess I thought I was doing her a favor for her to not have to drive 3 hours to get her stuff, and only drive 1 hour.

When she finally picked up everything 3 months later she called asking where her living room and mattress was. I told her the story and to contact a particular coworker at my ex-employer for additional information. So she did.

Well, a Sheriffs officer shows up to my house the same day questioning me about the furniture saying it was grand theft and I can go to jail for it. Apparently, the ex coworker took the furniture for herself thinking it was ok because someone else would come to get it if she didn't (they threw it out behind a major strip mall - high traffic area). When my ex contacted that coworker, she told the ex that I SOLD the furniture to her to avoid getting in trouble for having possession of stolen merchandise. How can I sell something that I didn't have possession of when even my ex market manager verified I tried to convince the regional director to allow me the Saturday pickup?

Here's where it get's interesting.

Today I get an email (3 weeks after the visit from the sheriffs officer) and it says...

Either pay me 5750.00 or I am pressing charges for felony theft and you will go to jail. She also went on to explain she is suing me for damages during shipment of her bedroom suit. She states it's damaged beyond repair, but most of that was done when we moved her down there the first time. She claims she has receipts of the purchase of the missing items, and the damaged bedroom suit totaling 11,500.00, but said she was being nice to settle for half of the bought value. Now, I have seen this furniture and was in the furniture business when I moved her down there. Nothing was worth anything CLOSE to half that amount brand new!

Here's a tidbit of info about her situation after I made her leave. She moves back in with her parents, has a 4 year old son, no job, immediately begins seeing the guy she broke up with right before we got together, and get's pregnant with his child. Now they just moved into their own place, he is the only one working and they have no money left over. She won't go looking for a job (same thing she did to me). I know all of this because the exes sister (who hates her) keeps me informed with this info since the craziness began.

Anyway, I denied any payment to her and let her know that I have witnesses to prove my innocence.

So, other than not calling her immediately when her stuff was going to get thrown out, what have I done wrong? How can I get arrested for felony theft when I'm not the one who stole her stuff (nor sell it) and have witnesses to prove my innocence?

I worry because I have recently returned to college and I am a 4.0 GPA student, not a thief. I do not want to rick my future career in radiography due to a drug addict, cheater, and liar. Please advise!

How exactly can you prove that you didn't very quietly sell the goods? Was someone with you 24/7 ?

Last edited:

Always somethin

Well, it's not extortion.

How exactly can you prove that you didn't very quietly sell the goods? Was someone with you 24/7 ?
I live 2 hours away from the ex coworker, we have a terrible relationship and don't get along well. Like I said in my statement, I'm not a thief and have no desire to sell what isn't mine. I'm not stupid, doing stuff like that always catches up with you. Please, focus on the situation from another view.

Proserpina

I live 2 hours away from the ex coworker, we have a terrible relationship and don't get along well. Like I said in my statement, I'm not a thief and have no desire to sell what isn't mine. I'm not stupid, doing stuff like that always catches up with you. Please, focus on the situation from another view.
I'm sorry, where did I say you were a thief?

I asked you a question. You said you can prove that you didn't sell the goods - I was asking how you can prove this.

Always somethin

I'm sorry, where did I say you were a thief?

I asked you a question. You said you can prove that you didn't sell the goods - I was asking how you can prove this.
Oh, sorry...misunderstood.

I called my ex market manager today to discuss the situation. He brought up the fact I begged the Regional Director to allow me to pickup the items 2 days after his marked deadline. Also, my ex market manager knows I would never do such a thing. The ex coworker is saying that because she knows in Florida that possession is 9/10th of the law and is trying to remove all of the heat from her.

So I have a prime witness to state I tried desperately to move the deadline 2 days due to lack of ability.

Proserpina

Oh, sorry...misunderstood.

I called my ex market manager today to discuss the situation. He brought up the fact I begged the Regional Director to allow me to pickup the items 2 days after his marked deadline. Also, my ex market manager knows I would never do such a thing. The ex coworker is saying that because she knows in Florida that possession is 9/10th of the law and is trying to remove all of the heat from her.

So I have a prime witness to state I tried desperately to move the deadline 2 days due to lack of ability.
But this doesn't prove that you didn't sell the goods.

You really need to speak with an attorney - please consult local counsel asap. While I think she's reaching, this could have serious ramifications for you.

Depending on how that email was actually worded she could be in trouble..but that's all the more reason you should seek counsel.

Last edited:

Always somethin

But this doesn't prove that you didn't sell the goods.

You really need to speak with an attorney - please consult local counsel asap. While I think she's reaching, this could have serious ramifications for you.
I will definitely be seeking legal council on this first thing Monday morning due to Thanksgiving.

Also, let's turn things around a bit. How can she prove that I did accept payment even though I clearly did not? Why does someone have to prove there innocence when all the accuser has to do it make up a story which blatantly benefits her freedom?

Proserpina

I will definitely be seeking legal council on this first thing Monday morning due to Thanksgiving.

Also, let's turn things around a bit. How can she prove that I did accept payment even though I clearly did not? Why does someone have to prove there innocence when all the accuser has to do it make up a story which blatantly benefits her freedom?
Sometimes it boils down to credibility. Your mistake was not letting your ex know what was going on; between that and your co-worker's statement it may indeed look like you were up to something although again I think she's reaching; either way she may have something of a valid civil suit against you.

What happened with the Sheriff? Did it get resolved?

Always somethin

Sometimes it boils down to credibility. Your mistake was not letting your ex know what was going on; between that and your co-worker's statement it may indeed look like you were up to something although again I think she's reaching; either way she may have something of a valid civil suit against you.

What happened with the Sheriff? Did it get resolved?
I honestly don't know. The officer questioned me and my family (they were there helping me move) and after the topic of her not making contact or any arrangements to get her belongings the officer said, "That's all I needed to know. Have a good day" and the officer turned around, and walked away to the car. I haven't heard anything from law enforcement since. Then I get the email today as if she had another trick up her sleeve. I dunno what's she thinks she's up too. That's why I suspected it was a last chance effort on her part to score quick cash in her desperate situation.

Proserpina

I honestly don't know. The officer questioned me and my family (they were there helping me move) and after the topic of her not making contact or any arrangements to get her belongings the officer said, "That's all I needed to know. Have a good day" and the officer turned around, and walked away to the car. I haven't heard anything from law enforcement since. Then I get the email today as if she had another trick up her sleeve. I dunno what's she thinks she's up too. That's why I suspected it was a last chance effort on her part to score quick cash in her desperate situation.
People are often advised to do nothing until either served with a lawsuit or charged with a crime but in this case I really do think at least an initial consult with an attorney would be beneficial; depending on how things have actually been worded she may be guilty of extortion under Florida law.

(Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine)

836.05 Threats; extortion.--Whoever, either verbally or by a written or printed communication, maliciously threatens to accuse another of any crime or offense, or by such communication maliciously threatens an injury to the person, property or reputation of another, or maliciously threatens to expose another to disgrace, or to expose any secret affecting another, or to impute any deformity or lack of chastity to another, with intent thereby to extort money or any pecuniary advantage whatsoever, or with intent to compel the person so threatened, or any other person, to do any act or refrain from doing any act against his or her will, shall be guilty of a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
Again, she may have a civil cause of action against you although the monetary value is going to be debatable.

Last edited:

Always somethin

People are often advised to do nothing until either served with a lawsuit or charged with a crime but in this case I really do think at least an initial consult with an attorney would be beneficial; depending on how things have actually been worded she may be guilty of extortion under Florida law.

(Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine)

Again, she may have a civil cause of action against you although the monetary value is going to be debatable.
This is the email she sent me today. Evaluate it for me please.

I would like to extend a courtesy notice to you before I pursue any criminal charges. I have been advised by both the Pensacola Sheriff's office and the Panama City Beach Police Dept that I may press the following:

Grand Theft: $3500.00 Living Room Set
$3000.00 Pillow-top Queen Mattress

Distribution of Stolen Property: See above

Distruction of Personal Property: $5000.00 Bedroom Set

Per your request, I have spoken to (ex coworker) at (ex-employer) in Panama City. She has advised me that you were not "denied access" to my living room furniture and mattress, but that you sold it to her for cash.

Also, when I arrived at my storage unit in Pensacola, every piece of furniture in my bedroom set was damaged beyond repair.

I have receipts for all of my property which was stolen. Along with 4 witnesses and photographs of my bedroom set. I am giving you this advanced notice beforehand to give you the opportunity to decide whether you would like to pay me for my stolen and damaged property, or if you would like to have 2 felonies and a misdemeanor charge on your record.

The amount I expect to be paid is $5750.00. That is 50% of what my belongings cost. Understand that if I do pursue charges in court, I will demand 100% or $11500.00 plus court costs. I think I am being more than generous in giving you the option considering you did not give me an option to keep my things.

Sincerely,

I would also like to add that I could buy what she is missing at a yard sale for maybe 200.00 bucks! That's how old the living room furniture and mattress are.

Last edited:

Proserpina

This is the email she sent me today. Evaluate it for me please.

I would like to extend a courtesy notice to you before I pursue any criminal charges. I have been advised by both the Pensacola Sheriff's office and the Panama City Beach Police Dept that I may press the following:

Grand Theft: $3500.00 Living Room Set
$3000.00 Pillow-top Queen Mattress

Distribution of Stolen Property: See above

Distruction of Personal Property: $5000.00 Bedroom Set

Per your request, I have spoken to (ex coworker) at (ex-employer) in Panama City. She has advised me that you were not "denied access" to my living room furniture and mattress, but that you sold it to her for cash.

Also, when I arrived at my storage unit in Pensacola, every piece of furniture in my bedroom set was damaged beyond repair.

I have receipts for all of my property which was stolen. Along with 4 witnesses and photographs of my bedroom set. I am giving you this advanced notice beforehand to give you the opportunity to decide whether you would like to pay me for my stolen and damaged property, or if you would like to have 2 felonies and a misdemeanor charge on your record.

The amount I expect to be paid is $5750.00. That is 50% of what my belongings cost. Understand that if I do pursue charges in court, I will demand 100% or $11500.00 plus court costs. I think I am being more than generous in giving you the option considering you did not give me an option to keep my things.

Sincerely,

I would also like to add that I could buy what she is missing at a yard sale for maybe 200.00 bucks! That's how old the living room furniture and mattress are.
I want to wait for one or two of the other board-members to chime in but frankly, she may have just dug herself a rather large hole. Take that email to the attorney on Monday.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Stupid question, but if her possessions were so valuable, why didn't she take them with her when she left?

And if anything, she would get the present value of what she had, not the replacement value at inflated prices of what she would like to purchase.

Always somethin

Stupid question, but if her possessions were so valuable, why didn't she take them with her when she left?

And if anything, she would get the present value of what she had, not the replacement value at inflated prices of what she would like to purchase.
She didn't have the means to do it I guess.

Yeah, I figured her bloated prices were crazy and unjustified.

Would still like to hear from more people about the extortion situation, that's one of the reasons I feel she stepped over the line.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">