• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex- has not full filled obligation in divorce papers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tono67

In my divorce papers it states the amount child support, ex-didnt like the amount so he quit his good paying job, now he wants to get the support reduced, also he was to be making my car payments of which he hasnt made one, we have been divorced for nine months now. what can I do?
I just recently lost my job and I am barly making ends meet the way it is, any help appreciated.
Thanks
Sorry about the location, i live in north dakota- jamestown
thanks

[Edited by tono67 on 02-23-2001 at 09:27 PM]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

tono67 said:
In my divorce papers it states the amount child support, ex-didnt like the amount so he quit his good paying job, now he wants to get the support reduced, also he was to be making my car payments of which he hasnt made one, we have been divorced for nine months now. what can I do?
I just recently lost my job and I am barly making ends meet the way it is, any help appreciated.
Thanks
My response:

We'd like to assist you; however, you apparently didn't see that red writing up at the top of the page. Without your State name, or the name of the State where the problem happened, it would be difficult to assist you. Laws are different everywhere.

Thank you for your cooperation, and we look forward to you editing your post.

IAAL

A

AngieVick

Am I blind or did I see that she said she lived in North Dakota?...It looks like she did read the red at the top. That was kinda rude to respond to something you didn't read all the way.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

AngieVick said:
Am I blind or did I see that she said she lived in North Dakota?...It looks like she did read the red at the top. That was kinda rude to respond to something you didn't read all the way.
My response:

You're not only blind, but you're ignorant too.

Why don't you look at my post again. You'll see that I made a copy of her original post. It's the one in BOLD type. It has no State name in it. Now, look at the bottom of her original post. You'll see that she edited it, and included her State name.

Also, read my response to her again. It's not "rude" at all. In fact, it's very respectful.

So, when you've had your eyes checked, and can read the English language, come back and post your response.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

tono67 said:
Thanks
Sorry about the location, i live in north dakota- jamestown
thanks

[Edited by tono67 on 02-23-2001 at 09:27 PM]
My response:

If he's filed a Petition to decrease his support, this is absolutely wonderful. He's just buried himself.

Judges see this kind of stuff all the time - - men quitting their jobs, thinking they can reduce or get out of child support altogether. They can't.

As a matter of fact, the judge is going to "impute" a certain amount of income ability to him, and keep his support amount just the way it is. He's going to really regret what he's done to you. He'll be forced to either get his job back, or to get another job that pays as much or more.

Additionally, in Montana, you can and should file a Counter Petition for an increase in support, and an "Order to Show Cause Re: Contempt of Court". He'll be found in contempt of court for failing to obey the original orders, be fined, and hauled off to jail in his own pair of matching bracelets.

I see this kind of thing happen all the time, and the men usually get up to anywhere from 10 to 30 days in jail for disobeying the court's orders.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

A

AngieVick

Well excuse me for living, im new to this and you still don't have to be so rude. Your second post is alot better. So good gawd sorry.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

AngieVick said:
Well excuse me for living, im new to this and you still don't have to be so rude. Your second post is alot better. So good gawd sorry.
My response:

Being "new" to something doesn't give you the right to criticize, and is no excuse for your ignorance. I've been responding on this site for over a year, and have more than 7,500 responses under my belt, lady. I'm also an attorney, and have been so for the past 21 years. So, I'm trained to read. And, you have the temerity to come here, with 11 responses or posts, and you want criticize me ?

You're not excused for "living" and taking up space.

Your half-hearted "sorry" is worthless. If you wanted to apologize, you could have sucked it up, and realized what you did wrong, and gave me a sincere apology. But no, you're "new" to this board, but you are not so "new" that you don't know how to become an immediate idiot.

I sincerely hope that you don't come to these boards with your problems, because no one is going to respond to you.

IAAL

T

tono67

Thank you

Just wanted to say thank you for your response, as I now dont feel I will get the schaft from my ex nor feel totally vulnerable.
Again I appreciate it.
Thank You!!!!!!!!!
Tono67@hotmail

I

imaANGEL

I'm brand new to this site, too (day 2). And frankly, AngieVick, try to simmmmmmaaaa. I'm not even certain that this posting will get read by AngieVick or not, how's that for being new!

Just in case you do read this AngieVick...

Most of us are here because we're frustrated with one thing or another and dag...that was some seriously awesome advice that Tono67 received...priceless!

I wish I had "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" out here in California about 6 years ago when I got run over by my exhusband and the courts; or I had the good sense to have moved to Montana prior to "escaping my marriage". Although my boss insists that Alabama would've been a better choice, because he claims that they grow real men out there that would have never have allowed my ex to do the things to me that he did (which did indeed include quitting his job - getting a new one then filing for alimony and child support from me while he hid his income)

My whole point is...if I'd have had this site as a resource at the time, it might not have taken so many years to lick my wounds, because I may have had fewer wounds to lick.

Please consider that you made a mistake, like we all do. (If I don't make at least one mistake per day by noon...I'm not doing enough!) It's so liberating to slap myself in the forehead now and then and go, "Ooops...so sorry" and MEAN IT! I'm far from perfect and really don't want anyone always expecting perfection from me!

Truly hope you don't find this note offensive in any way. Wanted you to know that there are no time limits on realizing that we all over-react at one time or another, and it is never fair to anyone on the receiving end. When you become comfortable taking ownership of how you may have made someone else feel, truly sincere apologies never get rejected.

We're all very fortunate to have this site and appreciate the people that extend themselves beyond their already busy schedules to help those of us who need it. Hope you'll consider the liberating perspective of humbleness.
Have a great day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">