• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex-husbands belongings are in the way

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redlinetracy

I'm wondering what i have to do legally to have my ex-husband remove all of his property left in my garage?I have asked him to remove it by sending a text msg.,and he says he will but never does.Do i need a court oder or can i just remove it and dispose of it myself?

LdiJ

I'm wondering what i have to do legally to have my ex-husband remove all of his property left in my garage?I have asked him to remove it by sending a text msg.,and he says he will but never does.Do i need a court oder or can i just remove it and dispose of it myself?
Basically, what I would do is move everything to a storage unit somewhere, in his name, pay the first month's rent, and then send him the key and the location.

Another option would be to send him (via certified mail) a letter advising him that he has 30 days to make arrangements to remove the items from your property, or you will dispose of them.

Text messages are not good enough for communication purposes in this instance.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Basically, what I would do is move everything to a storage unit somewhere, in his name, pay the first month's rent, and then send him the key and the location.

Another option would be to send him (via certified mail) a letter advising him that he has 30 days to make arrangements to remove the items from your property, or you will dispose of them.

Text messages are not good enough for communication purposes in this instance.
She cannot open a storage unit in his name as that could cause her severe problems including contempt of court -- most divorce decrees have as part of them that neither party can get credit in the other's name -- she would be indebting him without his permission to get a storage unit in his name. That could subject her to a lot of issues. She has no right to put his name on ANYTHING like that. If she also opens it in his name, she could face legal issues for identity theft if putting it in his name is not permissible by him.

As for how long she has to keep his stuff, it depends on the wording of the divorce decree.

LdiJ

She cannot open a storage unit in his name as that could cause her severe problems including contempt of court -- most divorce decrees have as part of them that neither party can get credit in the other's name -- she would be indebting him without his permission to get a storage unit in his name. That could subject her to a lot of issues. She has no right to put his name on ANYTHING like that. If she also opens it in his name, she could face legal issues for identity theft if putting it in his name is not permissible by him.

As for how long she has to keep his stuff, it depends on the wording of the divorce decree.
I am going to kind of disagree with that OG. Getting a storage unit doesn't require credit or a contact...its basically a month to month rental and if she pays the rent for the month, all he has to do is get his stuff out of the unit, and he is not obligated to continue paying.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am going to kind of disagree with that OG. Getting a storage unit doesn't require credit or a contact...its basically a month to month rental and if she pays the rent for the month, all he has to do is get his stuff out of the unit, and he is not obligated to continue paying.
Fine. If she does it, she can find herself with severe legal problems. It requires giving HIS NAME and making HIM liable for something -- to continue paying -- if he doesn't pay for any reason it goes on HIS credit and he loses his stuff. That WILL and DEFINITELY CAN get her in trouble with the divorce court. And CAN lead her to criminal legal problems. But hey, tell OP to do so.

LdiJ

Fine. If she does it, she can find herself with severe legal problems. It requires giving HIS NAME and making HIM liable for something -- to continue paying -- if he doesn't pay for any reason it goes on HIS credit and he loses his stuff. That WILL and DEFINITELY CAN get her in trouble with the divorce court. And CAN lead her to criminal legal problems. But hey, tell OP to do so.
Unless storage units work very differently in OH than they do in IN...nothing goes on anyone's credit. Yes, after a certain amount of time he would lose his stuff...but after a certain amount of time he can lose his stuff if he leaves it at her house as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">