• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex wife telling lies about me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clsg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLORIDA

Ok this is the problem. My ex wife is going around telling people (including our kid) that I am a deadbeat and that I dont spend any time with our kid. This is a complete LIE! child support is paid on time every 2 weeks when I get paid (and i pay for 2 weeks). I have visitation every other weekend, it is suppose to be from noon sat until sunday but I take my child friday night as well. I work full time in a different county until very late and take the public transportation, so picking up for dinner one night a week is not possiable, but I am volunterring at my childs school on my only day off and spend extra time with them.

She has also sent me harrassing emails and my girlfriend harrassing texts (she has changed her number and filed formal complaint with cops but didn't press charges yet because not in my childs best interest)

Are there any legal recourse (besides harrassment charges) that I can take? Also that would be considered pariental allination (my child is 12 and knows the truth about support being paid and I spend time with them)

Proserpina

Ok this is the problem. My ex wife is going around telling people (including our kid) that I am a deadbeat and that I dont spend any time with our kid. This is a complete LIE! child support is paid on time every 2 weeks when I get paid (and i pay for 2 weeks). I have visitation every other weekend, it is suppose to be from noon sat until sunday but I take my child friday night as well. I work full time in a different county until very late and take the public transportation, so picking up for dinner one night a week is not possiable, but I am volunterring at my childs school on my only day off and spend extra time with them.

She has also sent me harrassing emails and my girlfriend harrassing texts (she has changed her number and filed formal complaint with cops but didn't press charges yet because not in my childs best interest)

Are there any legal recourse (besides harrassment charges) that I can take? Also that would be considered pariental allination (my child is 12 and knows the truth about support being paid and I spend time with them)

Your 12 year old shouldn't know a darned thing about child support - and if she asks, you tell her "That's between your Mom and I, honey".

I don't see anything rising to harassment or alienation at this point. If it continues, get your daughter into counseling and then perhaps the therapist can testify as to what your daughter is saying.

clsg

i agree a 12 year old should not know...its my ex wife that is telling her everything and the one and only time she brought it up i pretty much gave her the same response that you suggested. If my 12 year old knows anything its not from me!

can a non custodial parent put a child in therapy/counseling without custodial parents consent? I am noticing a change in my kids behavior but i am not sure i can do anything as noncustodial. I want to file for custody but dont have the money right now.

thanks

mistoffolees

Ex-wives tell lies about their ex-husbands all the time - and vice versa. No one takes stories from ex-spouses very seriously. Anyone who knows you will know the truth, so why get worked up about it?

Silverplum

i agree a 12 year old should not know...its my ex wife that is telling her everything and the one and only time she brought it up i pretty much gave her the same response that you suggested. If my 12 year old knows anything its not from me!

can a non custodial parent put a child in therapy/counseling without custodial parents consent? I am noticing a change in my kids behavior but i am not sure i can do anything as noncustodial. I want to file for custody but dont have the money right now.

thanks
No.

That would require sole legal custody, which I'm positive you, as NCP, do not have.

clsg

Ex-wives tell lies about their ex-husbands all the time - and vice versa. No one takes stories from ex-spouses very seriously. Anyone who knows you will know the truth, so why get worked up about it?
I am getting "worked up" because it involves my 12 year old who is hearing it and should not have to be put in the middle of ADULT stuff. i dont care if she says things to others because they know the truth it just is bothersome that any parent would bad mouth the other parent to the child..they are innocent...they have done nothing wrong.

and thanks to those who answered about the therapy. even though i dont have custody (and I will be filing when I have the money) it should not mean that any non custodial can't have a say when it comes to their kids esp when being harmed. IMO

mistoffolees

I am getting "worked up" because it involves my 12 year old who is hearing it and should not have to be put in the middle of ADULT stuff. i dont care if she says things to others because they know the truth it just is bothersome that any parent would bad mouth the other parent to the child..they are innocent...they have done nothing wrong.

and thanks to those who answered about the therapy. even though i dont have custody (and I will be filing when I have the money) it should not mean that any non custodial can't have a say when it comes to their kids esp when being harmed. IMO
It happens. Get over it.

Sorry to sound harsh, but you can't really do anything about it. So it's up to you whether you give yourself an ulcer over it or let it slide past you. If your child asks, tell them that child support is between you and Mom and doesn't concern them.

They'll eventually learn what's going on.

ecmst12

If you don't have joint legal custody, you can't make any medical or other significant decisions regarding the children. Including putting them in therapy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">