• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex's Belongings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lntm2925

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York (Upstate)

Hello there. I had a question regarding a domestic issue and was wondering if anybody could help me out. About 6 weeks ago, my ex-boyfriend (who lived with me), disappeared on me during the night and I have not heard from him since. I do know where he is and that he is safe (his ex contacted me the morning after he left to tell me that he was back with her), but he has not made any attempts to contact me OR to come get his things. This was the second time that he disappeared on me during the night, and the first time, I gave him a second chance and let him back in, but this time there will not be another chance, and I would like to know how to go about requesting him to retrieve his belongings from my house. I was wondering if there was an amount of time that he has before I am LEGALLY able to dispose of his things, etc... and what the best route is to contact him regarding this matter.

If you can please give me any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Ladyback1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York (Upstate)

Hello there. I had a question regarding a domestic issue and was wondering if anybody could help me out. About 6 weeks ago, my ex-boyfriend (who lived with me), disappeared on me during the night and I have not heard from him since. I do know where he is and that he is safe (his ex contacted me the morning after he left to tell me that he was back with her), but he has not made any attempts to contact me OR to come get his things. This was the second time that he disappeared on me during the night, and the first time, I gave him a second chance and let him back in, but this time there will not be another chance, and I would like to know how to go about requesting him to retrieve his belongings from my house. I was wondering if there was an amount of time that he has before I am LEGALLY able to dispose of his things, etc... and what the best route is to contact him regarding this matter.

If you can please give me any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Since you know where he is (the address) or you can obtain a mailing address: You send him a letter, (certified/registered w/ return receipt) and advise that he has 30 days to make arrangements to get his belongings out of your residence. Advise him if at the end of 30 days you have not heard from him, you will be donating/selling his stuff. I think I would also make a list of his "stuff" and include it in the letter. Advising if there is anything not listed, he will need to let you know prior to removing anything from your property.

single317dad

Is this a jointly leased property? Are/were you subletting to him? There are specific rules in those circumstances. If you're not the actual owner of the residence, you may not be entitled to take possession or dispose of his personal property at all.

lntm2925

Thank you very much for both of your replies!. I will write up the letter and send it out by Tuesday of next week. In response to the second reply, yes I own the property and the house that we lived in. He came into my life after I purchased the house. Thank you both again!.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I was married for less than 6 months. We have no community property. She refuses to give me my property and the sheriff's dept has been of no help. Most of the furnishings are actually my mothers. She set up my first apt over 4 years ago with items from storage with the stipulation that I return it to her when I can afford to buy my own furnishings. My mother is upset that my wife has what is technically her property, and all the property that is mine before marriage . She has been notified in writing to return the property. My mother wants to file theft charges on her to get her property back. Do both of us have that right under Texas law?
Please start your own (new) thread. It is not cool to hijack another poster's discussion. Thanks.

single317dad

I was married for less than 6 months. We have no community property. She refuses to give me my property and the sheriff's dept has been of no help. Most of the furnishings are actually my mothers. She set up my first apt over 4 years ago with items from storage with the stipulation that I return it to her when I can afford to buy my own furnishings. My mother is upset that my wife has what is technically her property, and all the property that is mine before marriage . She has been notified in writing to return the property. My mother wants to file theft charges on her to get her property back. Do both of us have that right under Texas law?
All these issues would be settled during a divorce (civil proceeding), not a theft (criminal) charge.

If you have further questions, please do as stealth said and start your own thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">