• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex's use of last name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

n2kua

I live in NY, and have been divorced for 5 years. My
ex-wife continues to use my last name, even though she
has remarried. Is this leagal in NY?

LegalBeagle

n2kua said:
I live in NY, and have been divorced for 5 years. My
ex-wife continues to use my last name, even though she
has remarried. Is this leagal in NY?
She is not using 'your' last name, she is using 'a' name. If no one was allowed to use another name, we would be refered to by our SSN. There is nothing wrong with keeping her old married name.

U

Ukiah

I use my "married" name, and will continue to even after I remarry. I have a child with the same last name as I. I find it is much less confusing at Doctor's offices, and school when both parent and child have the same last name.

Don't think she is doing this out of spite, it's more a matter of less confusion and benefits the children in that they feel things will remain somewhat the same even though one parent now lives out of the home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">