• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extortion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jimedmonds

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Maryland

I am living with a girlfriend for more than 15 years. No talk of marriage although she wants that. She has had 2 husbands and I am never married. Anyway, I want to move on now and leave her. When I brought it up, she freaked out and threatened to sue me if I don't give her money. I have some savings and intended for it to start a new business. Lost my job recently.

She said that she will make up stories about abuse, harassment, etc. Well, I've never done any of that to her. In fact, she owns the house we live in, she bought a new car 2 years ago, and she has pension from her dead husband. She also has a part-time job. She's kind of a social climber and is deep in debt. Due to some financial stuff we both delved into together, I wasn't able to wrest myself away from my relationship with her. Now, that that is over, I can now move on.

What do you think I should do? I am not even sure excatly what palimony is and if that aplies to us. I've never introduced her as my wife and she never used my last name. I just don't have the money to go to court or pay her naything. Should I file a lawsuit against her for extortion before she files a suit against me?

LdiJ

jimedmonds said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Maryland

I am living with a girlfriend for more than 15 years. No talk of marriage although she wants that. She has had 2 husbands and I am never married. Anyway, I want to move on now and leave her. When I brought it up, she freaked out and threatened to sue me if I don't give her money. I have some savings and intended for it to start a new business. Lost my job recently.

She said that she will make up stories about abuse, harassment, etc. Well, I've never done any of that to her. In fact, she owns the house we live in, she bought a new car 2 years ago, and she has pension from her dead husband. She also has a part-time job. She's kind of a social climber and is deep in debt. Due to some financial stuff we both delved into together, I wasn't able to wrest myself away from my relationship with her. Now, that that is over, I can now move on.

What do you think I should do? I am not even sure excatly what palimony is and if that aplies to us. I've never introduced her as my wife and she never used my last name. I just don't have the money to go to court or pay her naything. Should I file a lawsuit against her for extortion before she files a suit against me?
What was the financial stuff that you both delved into together? How is that "over".

You can't "sue" someone for extortion. Extortion isn't a civil matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">