• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

family issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wmjt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? maine

i need to know if i can do anything about getting my sisters belongings, her clohthes ,her mementos that my ex brother in law refused to give me.. my beloved sis ter passed in summer 08 and he hasnt given me any of her things, and wont let me go to the house to get them.. she lived in massachusetts, legally married with a house in his name. it's tearing me apart to know he rather throw her things out in the trash. this is my twin sisters things and i want them.can i take him to small claims court?

Isis1

i need to know if i can do anything about getting my sisters belongings, her clohthes ,her mementos that my ex brother in law refused to give me.. my beloved sis ter passed in summer 08 and he hasnt given me any of her things, and wont let me go to the house to get them.. she lived in massachusetts, legally married with a house in his name. it's tearing me apart to know he rather throw her things out in the trash. this is my twin sisters things and i want them.can i take him to small claims court?
unless your sister had a will, all of her items are marital property in his house. which means by default, it's all his. you cannot sue him for his stuff.

Just Blue

Anything that belonged to your sister passed on LEGALLY to her husband upon her death. Unless she left these things to you in her will they are now the property of her husband.

wmjt

family trouble

it clear as crystal that anything in my sisters house is her widower possession. the man is mean and jealous. how can i make him give me her stuff? take to small claims court for pain and suffering ? sue him for personal aggravation? there has got to be a legal way !

CourtClerk

You cannot sue him for his things. If you have pain and suffering, then get over it or go to the doctor and get some help with that. Unfortunately (and this is going to sound very cruel), your sister is dead. She doesn't have any stuff anymore. She didn't leave a will, it's his stuff and the law is not going to make HIM give you HIS STUFF, because it doesn't belong to YOU.

If he throws the stuff in the trash, go through the trash and get what you want.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You cannot sue him for his things. If you have pain and suffering, then get over it or go to the doctor and get some help with that. Unfortunately (and this is going to sound very cruel), your sister is dead. She doesn't have any stuff anymore. She didn't leave a will, it's his stuff and the law is not going to make HIM give you HIS STUFF, because it doesn't belong to YOU.

If he throws the stuff in the trash, go through the trash and get what you want.
Some municipalities and counties have made the bolded a crime. As have some states. So I would not tell anyone to go through the trash unless we know exactly where said trash is located.

CourtClerk

Some municipalities and counties have made the bolded a crime. As have some states. So I would not tell anyone to go through the trash unless we know exactly where said trash is located.
LOL... let me restate.

If he puts it in the trash, the trash can is on the street and it's about an hour before the trash man comes, go through it (if it's not against the law).:D

LdiJ

Why won't he allow you to have them?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Because while he was trying to deal with the death of his wife her sister showed up and started demanding he fork over her belongings?
And truthfully it doesn't matter why he won't. He doesn't have to. Apparently sister feels she is entitled and from the tone of her post, she doesn't like hubby. Hence no respect for him and making demands on him when he is grieving for his wife.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
LOL... let me restate.

If he puts it in the trash, the trash can is on the street and it's about an hour before the trash man comes, go through it (if it's not against the law).:D
No problem. And just to restate -- I was wrong about the whole child support tying up marriage licenses on Z's thread. You were right and I bow before you on that!;):D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">