• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bethcrow

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My grandmother is 89 years old. She practically raised me till I was 11 years old. My mother is her daughter. She has 2 son's and one daughter, my mother. My mother is on dissability because she suffers from Diabetes.My grandfather passed away four years ago. Her youngest son has power of attorney over her(grandmother) but, he wants to put her in an assisted living facility or nursing home. She doesn't want to do this.My mom would like to help take care of my grandmother but her brother that has power of attorney doesn't want her to do so because he dislikes his own sister. Is there any way to get the power of attorney switched to another person?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My grandmother is 89 years old. She practically raised me till I was 11 years old. My mother is her daughter. She has 2 son's and one daughter, my mother. My mother is on dissability because she suffers from Diabetes.My grandfather passed away four years ago. Her youngest son has power of attorney over her(grandmother) but, he wants to put her in an assisted living facility or nursing home. She doesn't want to do this.My mom would like to help take care of my grandmother but her brother that has power of attorney doesn't want her to do so because he dislikes his own sister. Is there any way to get the power of attorney switched to another person?
Is your grandmother of sound mind? If so, she can certainly revoke the power of attorney that she gave to her son. She could give a power of attorney to someone else and in that power of attorney state that it revokes the power of attorney given to her son.

If she is not of sound mind then your mother would have to file in court to be appointed her guardian.

nextwife

Coming from a family of working, productive diatetics, I'm curious to know why mom's being diabetic = being disabled?

Proserpina

Coming from a family of working, productive diatetics, I'm curious to know why mom's being diabetic = being disabled?

I'm thinking brittle diabetes with renal, cardiac and/or retinal complications; I know that's not exactly what OP said but that's what sort of comes across.

(my second husband was 31 when he died; type 1 diabetes eventually led to CHF & renal failure)

Last edited:

Hisbabygirl77

Diabetes yes can cause many complications. Could be loss of limb/nerve damage/blindness ect..... The longer you have diabetes the more complications and long tern effect you can have. Diabetes alone does not qualify you for disability so their must be some complications.

Sigh...which is why I drill in my sons everyday the reason why we are vigilant about controlling his diabetes

Proserpina

Diabetes yes can cause many complications. Could be loss of limb/nerve damage/blindness ect..... The longer you have diabetes the more complications and long tern effect you can have. Diabetes alone does not qualify you for disability so their must be some complications.

Sigh...which is why I drill in my sons everyday the reason why we are vigilant about controlling his diabetes
I'm so glad you do that! I wish his parents had done the same. He had lousy control - his last 3 A1Cs were 11.2, 12.4 and 12.9. Which, as you'll know, is just horrid.

Anyway, diabetes that isn't controlled despite optimum therapy, plus one (or more) of these will often be enough to qualify for SSDI/SSI.

Severe neuropathy;
Severe nephropathy (whether or not the patient is on dialysis)
Blindness caused by retinopathy;
Cardiomyopathy/chronic heart disease (this varies too but if the EJ is less than 35% - my husband's was 19% at the time of his passing - that tends to be approved very quickly)

I suppose those are the four big ones. But I don't want to hijack the thread, as it's really not that closely related to the original post.

Shutting up now. :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">