• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family Law - General

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hmegirl

What is the name of your state?

STATE: Georgia

Please Help. Here are the facts:

1. I have an existing divorce decree granted in 1989

2. I am permitted to claim the minor child on my state and federal tax returns every even year under the condition I am current on my child support obligations

3. Because my child support is collected thru the state and sent directly to the state recovery system, I contacted them on 12-31-02 and received a letter stating I am current on both support obligations and medical and dental insurance obligations.

4. I forwarded this letter, as well a request to sign IRS form 8332 (release of claim) to my ex and requested the signed form returned to me

5. She has refused, twice, to return the form to me. Her basis: she believes she is entitled to the co pays she paid for both medical and dental visits.

KEY: The existing court order states she is responsible for all deductibles on the medical and dental bills.

How do I enforce the existing order?

What are the available remedies to me?

INTERESTING POINT: I contacted the IRS to find out if the divorce decree would be enough to claim the exemption.. THEY DID INFORM ME IT WAS A SHAME THE DIVORCE WAS WRITTEN THE WAY IT WAS …. WHY … THEY STATED THAT THE AMOUNT OF MY MONTHLY SUPPORT OBLIGATION WAS ENOUGH TO CONSTITUTE FULL SUPPORT OF THE MINOR!! Interesting!!

Please respond to [email protected]

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I don't know that copays qualify as deductibles. I suspect they do not, and if you are required to pay a portion of uninsured medical costs - you're responsible for some part of them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">