• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BigM8

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I really don't know where this should go. I live in the nice state of PA and got a potential problem that might occur in the next few years so better to get advice now while my grandmother is still living. My 89 year old grandmother is still living in her house and she is thinking about selling. Now, regardless of what happens, I think my uncle might come out on the better end, especially if she dies in the house (which health wise she is still OK so I don't foresee her dying for a another few years anyhow). I estimate they can get at least 50K for the house maybe more if it gets the much needed repairs. I know my mother is not going to get anything will wise and I am not sure if he has me and my brother in the will (my grandfather passed in December 2009, I got along better with him then I did my grandmother although I did get along with her to, my uncle has POA by the way). Now, I do not think my uncle deserves all of that money, even if she does move and die someplace else and only has X number of money left from living someplace else. From 2000-2009 It was basically me who help my grandparents out, not my uncle. Not until a year before my grandfather passed did he start helping a lot. I feel he may not give me and my brother anything using the pretext of us not helping as much as we did before in recent years to keep all the money. I feel entitled to some of it because I was the one who kept my nearly blind grandfather company for years on end and both of us had many of good times together. I am not saying my uncle should not get money, yes, I think he should get something for being the son of course to be fair. However, he has a habit as well of spending a bit to much on occasional. Another reason why I made sure I kept some of my grandfather valuables after he died.

If something happens, if my grandmother for example does stay in the house and in the sad time when she does pass away and if my uncle does try to play dirty for whatever reason and try to have me and my brother tossed out of the will, is there anything we can do to try to get some of that money away from him?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I really don't know where this should go. I live in the nice state of PA and got a potential problem that might occur in the next few years so better to get advice now while my grandmother is still living. My 89 year old grandmother is still living in her house and she is thinking about selling. Now, regardless of what happens, I think my uncle might come out on the better end, especially if she dies in the house (which health wise she is still OK so I don't foresee her dying for a another few years anyhow). I estimate they can get at least 50K for the house maybe more if it gets the much needed repairs. I know my mother is not going to get anything will wise and I am not sure if he has me and my brother in the will (my grandfather passed in December 2009, I got along better with him then I did my grandmother although I did get along with her to, my uncle has POA by the way). Now, I do not think my uncle deserves all of that money, even if she does move and die someplace else and only has X number of money left from living someplace else. From 2000-2009 It was basically me who help my grandparents out, not my uncle. Not until a year before my grandfather passed did he start helping a lot. I feel he may not give me and my brother anything using the pretext of us not helping as much as we did before in recent years to keep all the money. I feel entitled to some of it because I was the one who kept my nearly blind grandfather company for years on end and both of us had many of good times together. I am not saying my uncle should not get money, yes, I think he should get something for being the son of course to be fair. However, he has a habit as well of spending a bit to much on occasional. Another reason why I made sure I kept some of my grandfather valuables after he died.

If something happens, if my grandmother for example does stay in the house and in the sad time when she does pass away and if my uncle does try to play dirty for whatever reason and try to have me and my brother tossed out of the will, is there anything we can do to try to get some of that money away from him?
Don't worry about it. Grandma's still breathing. At least wait until she's cold before you start clamoring for HER stuff. :rolleyes:

Silverplum

I really don't know where this should go.
Under "Wills & Trusts," IMO.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/wills-trusts-56/

BigM8 said:
I live in the nice state of PA and got a potential problem that might occur in the next few years so better to get advice now while my grandmother is still living. My 89 year old grandmother is still living in her house and she is thinking about selling. Now, regardless of what happens, I think my uncle might come out on the better end, especially if she dies in the house (which health wise she is still OK so I don't foresee her dying for a another few years anyhow). I estimate they can get at least 50K for the house maybe more if it gets the much needed repairs. I know my mother is not going to get anything will wise and I am not sure if he has me and my brother in the will (my grandfather passed in December 2009, I got along better with him then I did my grandmother although I did get along with her to, my uncle has POA by the way). Now, I do not think my uncle deserves all of that money, even if she does move and die someplace else and only has X number of money left from living someplace else. From 2000-2009 It was basically me who help my grandparents out, not my uncle. Not until a year before my grandfather passed did he start helping a lot. I feel he may not give me and my brother anything using the pretext of us not helping as much as we did before in recent years to keep all the money. I feel entitled to some of it because I was the one who kept my nearly blind grandfather company for years on end and both of us had many of good times together. I am not saying my uncle should not get money, yes, I think he should get something for being the son of course to be fair. However, he has a habit as well of spending a bit to much on occasional. Another reason why I made sure I kept some of my grandfather valuables after he died.

It's entirely your Grandma's business to whom she leaves her estate.

It's not a legal matter of who was the "better" relative. :rolleyes:

BigM8

Well, only because we don't have a "Relatives Trying to Get Their Hands on Stuff That's Not Theirs" forum...
Not so much that lol, just more of don't want my uncle to abuse his POA and try to coax my grandmother into doing something she would not have done when my grandfather was still alive.

Zigner

Not so much that lol, just more of don't want my uncle to abuse his POA and try to coax my grandmother into doing something she would not have done when my grandfather was still alive.
This is a nunya situation.

Eekamouse

You may feel entitled to a portion of your grandmother's estate but that does not mean you'll get it. It's up to your grandmother who gets what when she dies. If you're angling to cash in, maybe you should start spending more time with her. You make it sound like your uncle is greedy and will get everything but how are you any different? You sound pretty greedy yourself. Your uncle seems to be caring for his mother so if she wants him to have everything, she certainly can do that.

BigM8

No. Really.
Yes. Really.

You may feel entitled to a portion of your grandmother's estate but that does not mean you'll get it. It's up to your grandmother who gets what when she dies. If you're angling to cash in, maybe you should start spending more time with her. You make it sound like your uncle is greedy and will get everything but how are you any different? You sound pretty greedy yourself. Your uncle seems to be caring for his mother so if she wants him to have everything, she certainly can do that.
Uhm, no he is not. You do not know how pissed my grandmother gets at my uncle because "he drags his feet". Her words, not mine. Don't you tell me to spend more time with her ethier. It was me and my brother for example, who spent the majority of the time at HER house taking care of my dying grandfather when he broke his hip, helping out my poor grandmother. My uncle helped some, but he was worried about the dog he had at home "she might run away if I leave her outside". I have spent more time with my grandfather when he was alive and my grandmother in the past 10 years then my uncle has, so watch your mouth. Besides, why do you think my grandfather told me months ahead of his death to have his old 16 gauge shotgun for example, that is probably worth at least 1K? Because he didn't trust my uncle. He loved him of course, but was worried he would sell it. Almost 3 years later, do I have it? Damn right I do, you want a current picture of it? So no, I am not greedy. Maybe you want me to send you a check? :rolleyes:

Silverplum

Yes. Really.

Uhm, no he is not. You do not know how pissed my grandmother gets at my uncle because "he drags his feet". Her words, not mine. Don't you tell me to spend more time with her ethier. It was me and my brother for example, who spent the majority of the time at HER house taking care of my dying grandfather when he broke his hip, helping out my poor grandmother. My uncle helped some, but he was worried about the dog he had at home "she might run away if I leave her outside". I have spent more time with my grandfather when he was alive and my grandmother in the past 10 years then my uncle has, so watch your mouth. Besides, why do you think my grandfather told me months ahead of his death to have his old 16 gauge shotgun for example, that is probably worth at least 1K? Because he didn't trust my uncle. He loved him of course, but was worried he would sell it. Almost 3 years later, do I have it? Damn right I do, you want a current picture of it? So no, I am not greedy. Maybe you want me to send you a check? :rolleyes:
Naw, we help people for free. (Unlike some people.)

And no, we do not want photos of anything.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Zigner

Yes. Really.

Nice - your grandpa gave you a gift. It has no relevance to the current situation, but it was still nice of him.

Eekamouse

Watch my mouth? Hahahahaha! That's funny. Look, Greedy, it ain't up to you who granny leaves her money or belongings to and that's the way it is. Your uncle is there for her now and if that bothers you or if you feel threatened by it, well too bad. If you don't think you should have to spend time with granny now because you spent time with your grampy way back when, well, don't be surprised if she doesn't factor that in when she's deciding who gets what when she passes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">