• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family Problem having to due with Restraining Order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ABERfitchBoY252

chicago/IL......I just turned 18 and having problems with parents ....they say that if I cont. to fight with them about issues they will kick me out of the house and file a restraing order against me. Is it possible to put a restraining order against a family member who is a resdient and also claimed as a dependendant within the household?

FarmerJ

AB at 18 your parents are under no legal obligation to allow you to reside under there roof . EVEN IF your still in HS . At age 18 your supposed to be considered a adult so If you want to live under your own roof , be on your own , and have all the financial responsibilitys of adulthood By all means feel free to leave home . Being on your own Isnt all that bad , youll have to pay rent and utility bills some where , you have the right to go hungry ,and the right to be evicted in court If you cant pay your rent ,right to be cold if you have to cut back your heat in order to keep gas bill managable , youll have the right to decide do you need new shoes ? or put gas in to a car , ETC the list goes on. NOW if you can negotiate with your parents a rental agreement ,likely it will be cheaper than literally being on your own . you know that agreement may well also include them not wanting to tolerate extreme late hours , or perhaps including things like music volumes , house hold chores , and many other things . My whole point is your going to have to decide if your better off at home or not . BTW if you take too long they may decide for you . so go talk to them no anger no fighting but do talk to them

Last edited:
G

Grandma B

ABERfitchBoY252 said:
chicago/IL......I just turned 18 and having problems with parents ....they say that if I cont. to fight with them about issues they will kick me out of the house and file a restraing order against me. Is it possible to put a restraining order against a family member who is a resdient and also claimed as a dependendant within the household?
Your recent birthday transformed you from a child for whom his parents held responsibility to a man who is responsible for himself. If they're willing to let you remain under their roof, they have a right to set the rules for their home. You have the right to move from their home and support yourself if you don't like their rules.

Can they get a restraining order against you? Of course they can, but I'd rather see you maintain a civil relationship with your parents. In the next several years, you'll find that your parents will become much smarter than you previously thought. Know something else--they know a lot more about being young than you do about being old.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">