• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

family savings

• Thread starter DONNA LANCASTER
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DONNA LANCASTER

i live in richmond, virginia. my husband has the house and cars and savings accounts, everything in his name. can i sue him to get it put in both our names?

D

dorenephilpot

I will answer in terms of Indiana law, which may differ from the laws in your state:

Each person in a marriage is allowed to have items in his name. I know of no requirement that a spouse be on the deed to the home, the title to the car, etc.

He can go out tomorrow and buy a house and leave you out of the transaction entirely, if he wants.

Now, in the event of a divorce, the fact that those items are in his name won't matter. What matters is whether they were acquired during the marriage. If they were, they're almost always considered part of the marital pot and would need to be divided equitably in a divorce.

If he thinks that having something in his name alone, if acquired during the marriage, offers him some sort of financial protection, he is sadly mistaken (and maybe a jerk to boot).

Hope this helps address your questions.

LegalBeagle

However, before you think about leaving him, see an attorney first. Generally people who keep all the account in one name will clear them all out and hide everything before you can get a legal seperation order served.

D

DONNA LANCASTER

YOU SAY IT'S OK FOR HIM TO HAVE EVERYTHING IN HIS NAME? WE'VE BEEN MARRIED FOR 13 YEARS. THE LAST 4 I HAVE STAYED HOME. SO WHERE ARE MY RIGHTS? I COULDN'T GET A LAWYER IF I WANTED TO SINCE HE HAS ALL THE MONEY.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Well, who's fault is that ?

Please, don't use capital letters because you're frustrated or don't like the way you've conducted your life and personal affairs. It's not our fault, and we don't like being yelled at.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 03-09-2001 at 07:35 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">