• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

father divorced but ex wifes name is still on the house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

islandsxm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)nh

hello
when my father was divorced he kept the house and paid his ex off for it but her name remains on it.i doubt he kept any kind of paperwork. when my father passes will she have a right to the house? if so would it be worth bringing her to court? also im not sure if he has a will and he is also a alcoholic.

justalayman

sounds like your dad messed up by not getting ex to deed her interest to him when he paid her

if the ex isn't willing to sign a deed now and dad doesn't have any proof he paid her, looks like the ex will continue to own at least part of the property

Do you know how title is held?

joint, tenants in common, something else?

islandsxm

im guessing its joint.when my father dies would she have the right to the whole property or would she get half then the kids divide the other half

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">