• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father near death/Need info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dewy2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

My father is in a nursing home in Connecticut, and I reside in Maine. Recently I visited my father and found him in declining heath. I went to the nurse's desk to inquire about the status of his health. At first they said he was terminal, on Hospiss care and was taken of his medication. I then asked when all of this took place and how long has he been like this. The nurse then said to me, "I'm not so sure I should be giving you this information. She then looked in his record book and I noticed a hand written note, reconizing my sister's handwritting. After reading that she closed the book and said she could not give me any information. The next day I contacted the Director of Social Services and she told me the same thing, and that my sister will not put my name on the list and no information may be given to myself or my brother. Do I have any recourse and can I file a motion for discovery with the court?

It seems by the condition of my father that his time is limited and without his medication the end will come quickly. My sister also signed a document that she lays claim to nothing of my father's (property or money), but has taken all his belongings from my brother's house, where he was living at one time. She quitely went to a lawyer and had my brother removed as POA and had herself appointed POA, closed all his bank accounts and then removed my father from his home. She arrived at my brother's home at a time when he should have been at work with a police officer and moving people to remove my father's things. her intend , I assume, was to enter my brother's house and remove items from his house without him at home and without his permission to enter his home. Several of the items where of great value and one was partly my property.

My brother and I are sufering great financial struss at this time and we do not have the resorces to hire a lawyer. **************.Regards, D.Miller

Just so this is clear to everyone......We are not concerned about what we get...It is just to draw a picture of what my sister has done and to give an idea of the kind of person she has become......I can list at least a dozen examples, but I don't think that is needed**************.

D.Miller

Last edited:

JETX

You and your brother need to contact an attorney in Maine IMMEDIATELY to protect your rights in the event your father passes away. From your description, it is probably likely that your sister has already either taken steps to take possession, or actually HAS taken possession, of his assets.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I always marvel when adult children are more concerned with what they're going to "get" (or not) than with the health of their dying parent. Maybe Dad was smart and willed it all to charity.

mmmagique

I think that is a little unfair.
This is a legal forum, and he came here seeking legal advice.
Just because he didn't get into all the emotional stuff (which as pointed out by so many members here, this isn't the place for...) doesn't mean he doesn't feel it.
And I would also be very upset if a sibling was trying to steal things of both monetary and sentimental value.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">