• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fathers new family

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dm007

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My father recently remarried ( 2yrs ) his wife is 23 yrs younger than him and has a 17 yr old daughter from her previous marriage.
My brother and I are in our 30's and also married and live in Miami FL
My father has purchased property on his new wifes name. Vested as a married woman. He files taxes jointly and has her daughter on his returns for deductions puposes.He is a a doctor and basically lives a lavish lifestyle. But unfortunately he has no money saved up for his future. to top it all, she works with him and he pays her a very good salalry!!!
We are afraid that she will walk out on him and take everything with her. she has done this before but eventually came back.
My father is old and we have asked him to make a will but he does not want to. He has put all the properties and life insurance in her name (3 condos). After he passes away, do my brother and I have any legal rights on these condos? What is the best way to protect his future and protect us as his children? FYI he is so in love and will not listen to anything we say.

Thanks
Dave:confused:

ceara19

Unless your dad is mentally unstable, he can do as he pleases with HIS money. If he is mentally unstable, he has no business practicing medicine.

fairisfair

let's see, he files his taxes, runs a business, is successful enough to live a lavish lifestyle, and pay his new, younger wife, a handsome salary.

Doesn't sound incompetent to me.

fairisfair

well, now maybe you can just come out and say it. . . . oh well, I will.

best way to protect HIS future or YOURS?? :rolleyes:

either way the answer is the same

nothing.

If he is competent to run his own affairs, then you need to butt out.

dm007

to fairisfair

it does say in my message, his and ours! Why wouldnt me or my brother have it vs a strange woman who is in his life for only 2 yrs.

moburkes

Because it doesn't belong to you. If he wants to give every single dime in his pocket to WIFE, it is his right. It is his money. He earned every dime. You didn't. Period.

So, don't spend your father's money prematurely.

dm007

he has no money, its his properties, which I helped him purchase in the first place I want the answer to.

Please dont reply to the message if its not a sincere answer

moburkes

Guess what? I can reply to you if I'd like. You're not my mama, nor my Sunday school teacher. Unless YOUR name is on the title/deed, then you have no interest. If you helped him purchase the properties, then why didn't you protect your interest?

Property=money.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
he has no money, its his properties, which I helped him purchase in the first place I want the answer to.

Please dont reply to the message if its not a sincere answer
One more time for the challenged -- YOU ARE ENTITLED TO NOTHING! That is the legal answer. If he dies without a will then you may be entitled to a portion that passes through probate (oh and the properties, insurance and anything else with a co-owner or beneficiary pass OUTSIDE of probate). You and your siblings are NOT entitled to anything of your fathers. Doesn't matter. Don't count on an inheritance because it is NOT guaranteed and it is NOT yours. Your father could give away his money tomorrow to the bum on the corner and there is not a DAMN THING you can do about it.

AHA

After he passes away, do my brother and I have any legal rights on these condos? What is the best way to protect his future and protect us as his children? FYI he is so in love and will not listen to anything we say.

I guess you won't know until his will is read to you.
Protecting YOUR future is YOUR responsibility. He helped create you and put a roof over your head and food in your belly until youwere grown and move away from home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">