• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father's rights to unborn child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NightChylde

I wanted to know what the rights of a father to his unborn child was in the state of Virginia. The mother of the child is determined to have an abortion, against the will of the father, who has begged, pleaded and all else to convince her to have the baby and give it over to him for full custody. He is a stable man with a supportive family, but she refuses to give him a chance to have this child. He already sees it as a child, although it is yet to be born and wants, desires and begs to be able to raise it but she is cold to the idea of the pregancy and birth.

My question: Does a biological father have rights to a child before it is born? Does the legal system consider the child to be alive and subject to custody before birth?

I pray so, because time is short.

LegalBeagle

NightChylde said:
I wanted to know what the rights of a father to his unborn child was in the state of Virginia. The mother of the child is determined to have an abortion, against the will of the father, who has begged, pleaded and all else to convince her to have the baby and give it over to him for full custody. He is a stable man with a supportive family, but she refuses to give him a chance to have this child. He already sees it as a child, although it is yet to be born and wants, desires and begs to be able to raise it but she is cold to the idea of the pregancy and birth.

My question: Does a biological father have rights to a child before it is born? Does the legal system consider the child to be alive and subject to custody before birth?

I pray so, because time is short.
No one has any rights to an unborn child except the mother. Period.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

See the 1974 United States Supreme Court case entitled - - can everybody say it ? - - -

ROE versus WADE - - the ultimate decision case concerning abortion rights.

IAAL

N

NightChylde

No offense to the masses intended. I just hate to see a friend hurting over the loss of a child he will have no chance to know. I myself have had three children, and although I wouldn't want anyone to be able to force me to abort or keep an unborn child, his case raised a definitely interesting point of view. What about the fathers of aborted children...just something new to think on.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

NightChylde said:
No offense to the masses intended. I just hate to see a friend hurting over the loss of a child he will have no chance to know. I myself have had three children, and although I wouldn't want anyone to be able to force me to abort or keep an unborn child, his case raised a definitely interesting point of view. What about the fathers of aborted children...just something new to think on.
My response:

There's nothing to "think on".

That issue was decided long ago. That was one of the "main themes" or issues in Roe vs. Wade. With some narrow exceptions to the rule, a fetus (an unborn, in the first trimester) has no more rights than the woman's intestines, or liver, or any other organ. Ergo, until that fetus is born, and the denomination of that fetus is changed to "child", the woman has the absolute right to decide whether or not to "expel that organ, or tissue, or any other part of her body".

As such, until that fetus is born, the male has no right to decide for the woman whether or not she should endure a pregnancy, or any other medical procedure.

That's the way it is. And, it's a good law.

IAAL

LegalBeagle

NightChylde said:
I do not want to start a big debate here.. but you state that you would never want to be forced to abort or keep an unwanted child.. but then you say this case raised an interesting point of view.. how on earth can this case be any different from you being tied down on a table and forced into having an abortion, or lock up for 9 months and forced to have a child ? There is absolutely no difference between your friends case and any others..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">