• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fiancees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jfdfmr1941

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

We have been living together for 2 years and are engaged. Finance died last week. He promised to buy me a car and let me live in any one of his properties forever providing I had no man living with me. He bought and sold real estate like flips. I did most of the work on them including putting in new toilets, painting, staining, plumbing, lighting. I love his 2 daughters but I want to make sure I'm not left out in the cold.
Believe in all the properties I have about 400 hrs of labor in them./ I am 70 yrs old

CourtClerk

Verbal promises are only worth the paper they were written on...

Even at 70, if you wanted to be treated as a spouse and wanted the rights of a spouse, you have to be a spouse.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

We have been living together for 2 years and are engaged. Finance died last week. He promised to buy me a car and let me live in any one of his properties forever providing I had no man living with me. He bought and sold real estate like flips. I did most of the work on them including putting in new toilets, painting, staining, plumbing, lighting. I love his 2 daughters but I want to make sure I'm not left out in the cold.
Believe in all the properties I have about 400 hrs of labor in them./ I am 70 yrs old
Nope. You have no rights to anything unless he provided for you in his will. Ohio does not recognize common law marriages but you were not common law married. Ohio's consitutional amendment pretty much cements the idea of NO legal rights except for licensed marriages. I am sorry your fiance died.

LdiJ

Nope. You have no rights to anything unless he provided for you in his will. Ohio does not recognize common law marriages but you were not common law married. Ohio's consitutional amendment pretty much cements the idea of NO legal rights except for licensed marriages. I am sorry your fiance died.
Lets hope that he outlined his wishes in his will...or at least verbally expressed those wishes to his daughters and they feel honor bound to honor them.

Its not like someone can easily start over at 70.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Lets hope that he outlined his wishes in his will...or at least verbally expressed those wishes to his daughters and they feel honor bound to honor them.

Its not like someone can easily start over at 70.
She has only been engaged to him since she was 68 though so what was she doing before that?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">