• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filial Responsibility Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrs. windy

Iowa

I'm just hearing about the concept of filial responsibility, where if my financially irresponsible parents wind up destitute in old age, I can be held responsible for their debts and their nursing home bills. I see that Iowa does have this law on the books, which is the state my parents reside in. However, I do not reside there any longer...do the Iowa laws still apply to me or is it based on the laws of the state I live in?

Thanks.

LdiJ

Iowa

I'm just hearing about the concept of filial responsibility, where if my financially irresponsible parents wind up destitute in old age, I can be held responsible for their debts and their nursing home bills. I see that Iowa does have this law on the books, which is the state my parents reside in. However, I do not reside there any longer...do the Iowa laws still apply to me or is it based on the laws of the state I live in?

Thanks.
If you are not a resident of Iowa, then you are not subject to Iowa laws. There are exceptions to that however. If you are visitating Iowa and commit a crime, then naturally you would be subject to their law in that instance.

However, I will also add that many states have laws on the books that are actually no longer enforceable. Laws that have been struck down by their state supreme courts. I would be really surprised if that law was actually still enforceable in Iowa.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">