• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

filing of final papers:

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

congo1

washington state. how long does my or my ex's lawyer have to turn our final dissolution papers. It has been over a month since we settled but nothing has been finalized yet. If this drags on any longer, the rates of refinancing my house for the settlement will be too high for me to make it. all parties are in agreement just waiting on the filing.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

congo1 said:
washington state. how long does my or my ex's lawyer have to turn our final dissolution papers. It has been over a month since we settled but nothing has been finalized yet. If this drags on any longer, the rates of refinancing my house for the settlement will be too high for me to make it. all parties are in agreement just waiting on the filing.
My response:

I am sure that the attorneys have already submitted your agreement and request for a final order with the court. That's not your problem.

Have you ever stood in line at a bakery? Have you ever taken one of those paper numbers and waited your turn to be served?
The same thing with the court, except it's just a little more sophisticated - - not much, but just a little more.

Let me explain something to you. You've have an assigned judge. Your case is number 293 on his docket. You're waiting your turn for him to review your final paperwork. That's because throughout the day, that same judge is hearing cases, of all types. Then, after putting in 7 or 8 hours of listening to people's marital problems all day from the bench, he takes home about 10 files each night, and reviews all the paperwork to make sure everything is correct, and that all of the party's needs conform to the law.

In other words, you'll be lucky to have your "number called at the bakery" within a 3 month span of time after submission of your final paperwork. Justice moves slowly - - but I've never heard of a taxpayer say, "You know Martha, I'll be glad to have my property taxes increased so that we can build new courthouses and pay for more judges."

It doesn't happen, so keep waiting.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">