• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing for Name Change of a Minor in TX

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abyrebecca2011

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Hi,
I am going to file for a name change for my daughter in TX. She was born in Harris County but we currently reside in Brazoria County. She is 2 yrs old. The father (never married to him) has not been a part of her life since day 1 of the pregnancy in which we (my daughter and myself) live with my parents. He also never was on her BC nor signed any documents as a parent/guardian. He has never been a part of her life. I was previously informed that all parents would have to be notified of a name change but if I do not have the other parent's information I do not see that this could happen. Could this been done without having to notify him (file extra paperwork if needed)? And would it matter what county I filed for the name change?
Thanks,
Devyn

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Hi,
I am going to file for a name change for my daughter in TX. She was born in Harris County but we currently reside in Brazoria County. She is 2 yrs old. The father (never married to him) has not been a part of her life since day 1 of the pregnancy in which we (my daughter and myself) live with my parents. He also never was on her BC nor signed any documents as a parent/guardian. He has never been a part of her life. I was previously informed that all parents would have to be notified of a name change but if I do not have the other parent's information I do not see that this could happen. Could this been done without having to notify him (file extra paperwork if needed)? And would it matter what county I filed for the name change?
Thanks,
Devyn
Why haven't you ever tried to establish paternity? Are you receiving any state assistance of any kind? Yes, the putative father would have to be notified of a court case involving his child. You need to look at possibly either retaining counsel OR reading the rules of procedure regarding service. You need to file in the county where you currently reside if you have been there long enough.

CSO286

Hi,
Thanks,
Devyn
Just out curiousity, whose last name does she have? Yours? Or maybe Dad?

And why would you give this child his name, when according to you since the day after conception, he's had no part in the child's life?

CJane

Just out curiousity, whose last name does she have? Yours? Or maybe Dad?

And why would you give this child his name, when according to you since the day after conception, he's had no part in the child's life?
Well, *I did, to avoid the child in question having MY last name, which was also my ex-husband's (not the father).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">