• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial Disownment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frustrated.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Not relevant.

I'm writing this on behalf of a friend. He and his wife have an adult child, in their mid-20s. The parents strongly encouraged a particular career into college, for the financial security. The child did not want to pursue this career and wished to pursue an alternate career path, but did not express their desire to do so until mid-college. By then, prime opportunities for advancement in their alternate career choice were gone. Then the child withdrew from college and has not gone back since. The child continues to play an emotional blame game, stating that they can no longer accomplish what they want because their parents have ruined their life for them. The parents, all this time, have continued to pay for the child's expenses (food, clothing, living) and this child has not had a job once in this period as they refuse to hold a common job. The couple have another child who was affected by the actions of this other child, but the younger child has made progress and continues to support the older child emotionally and sometimes, financially. The older child is now trying to pilot the younger child's life and the latter tell their parents that they are feeling overwhelmed, and emotionally exhausted as a result. The parents can barely afford to pay for the younger child's education, and add to that their poor health, and the expenses of the older child, they are barely staying afloat.

I suggested taking legal action, because I believe the older child is manipulating the parents but they think they are unjustified in their actions. They want both of their children to succeed, but they have lost hope in their older child, and are now worried the younger child's future will take a plunge as a result of the older child's overbearing nature and dependency on the younger one. They don't want the older child to be affected by this either. What legal action, if any will force the older child to be financially independent and not be able to manipulate their parents and interfere with their sibling's life? Please share some insight on this situation. It is much appreciated.

FlyingRon

Legal action for what? Children sponging off WILLING parents is not actionable. Nothing can force the lazy or ill-inclined to be financially independent. Until the parents involved decide to take action on their own to cut the dead-beat child off, nothing can be done.

frustrated.

Legal action for what? Children sponging off WILLING parents is not actionable. Nothing can force the lazy or ill-inclined to be financially independent. Until the parents involved decide to take action on their own to cut the dead-beat child off, nothing can be done.
What legal course of action will allow them to cut the child off permanently (only financially), so that the child cannot contact them to ask for financial support?

FlyingRon

What legal course of action will allow them to cut the child off permanently (only financially), so that the child cannot contact them to ask for financial support?
It's easy, the parents refuse to communicate with their child. As long as they do, the child is free to ask them for money. It's not the kid's fault the parents are pushovers.

In addition to sticking your nose in where it doesn't belong you decided to give a smart ass answer to the IMPORTANT question the forum stuck at the beginning of the thread as to what state this took place in, we can't help you further.

frustrated.

It's easy, the parents refuse to communicate with their child. As long as they do, the child is free to ask them for money. It's not the kid's fault the parents are pushovers.

In addition to sticking your nose in where it doesn't belong you decided to give a smart ass answer to the IMPORTANT question the forum stuck at the beginning of the thread as to what state this took place in, we can't help you further.
The people on this forum seem to be quite rude and assuming, from only my first post! I do not wish to disclose more information than is necessary, so as to conceal the identities of the involved people. Perhaps, if you were a concerned parent/mother, you would realize that it is hard to cut off your own child, despite their behavior. In their family, higher education is a basic expectation, so the parents don't want to let their child's talent go to waste because of their honest mistake.

frustrated.

Why are YOU frustrated? Mind your own business.
Don't care to respond if it isn't constructive. As I said earlier, the post is on behalf of my friend. In order to help him, I wanted to present the situation matter-of-factly. Don't try and read too much into a username. It's foolish.

Silverplum

The people on this forum seem to be quite rude and assuming, from only my first post! I do not wish to disclose more information than is necessary, so as to conceal the identities of the involved people. Perhaps, if you were a concerned parent/mother, you would realize that it is hard to cut off your own child, despite their behavior. In their family, higher education is a basic expectation, so the parents don't want to let their child's talent go to waste because of their honest mistake.
Don't care to respond if it isn't constructive. As I said earlier, the post is on behalf of my friend. In order to help him, I wanted to present the situation matter-of-factly. Don't try and read too much into a username. It's foolish.
Whatever. You've received valid legal answers.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Not relevant.

I'm writing this on behalf of a friend. He and his wife have an adult child, in their mid-20s. The parents strongly encouraged a particular career into college, for the financial security. The child did not want to pursue this career and wished to pursue an alternate career path, but did not express their desire to do so until mid-college. By then, prime opportunities for advancement in their alternate career choice were gone. Then the child withdrew from college and has not gone back since. The child continues to play an emotional blame game, stating that they can no longer accomplish what they want because their parents have ruined their life for them. The parents, all this time, have continued to pay for the child's expenses (food, clothing, living) and this child has not had a job once in this period as they refuse to hold a common job. The couple have another child who was affected by the actions of this other child, but the younger child has made progress and continues to support the older child emotionally and sometimes, financially. The older child is now trying to pilot the younger child's life and the latter tell their parents that they are feeling overwhelmed, and emotionally exhausted as a result. The parents can barely afford to pay for the younger child's education, and add to that their poor health, and the expenses of the older child, they are barely staying afloat.

I suggested taking legal action, because I believe the older child is manipulating the parents but they think they are unjustified in their actions. They want both of their children to succeed, but they have lost hope in their older child, and are now worried the younger child's future will take a plunge as a result of the older child's overbearing nature and dependency on the younger one. They don't want the older child to be affected by this either. What legal action, if any will force the older child to be financially independent and not be able to manipulate their parents and interfere with their sibling's life? Please share some insight on this situation. It is much appreciated.
Q4P, while I'm here.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Growing a few pairs and saying "No"could work. But how is this your business?

FlyingRon

You are the one being rude. We told you there is no legal basis for parents to financially disown their kids, all they need to do is stop sending more money to them. Unless the parents are mentally incompetent of running their affiars, there's no LEGAL solution no matter how much you think they are being taken advantage of.

Contrary to your petulant responses, the state this is so very important in just about every one of these situations that the people who run this forum INSERT IT IN EVERY NEW THREAD.
Your steadfast refusal to provide this information just wastes our time. You're the one who are abusing the volunteers here just as you assert the deadbeat son is doing to his parents.

frustrated.

You are the one being rude. We told you there is no legal basis for parents to financially disown their kids, all they need to do is stop sending more money to them. Unless the parents are mentally incompetent of running their affiars, there's no LEGAL solution no matter how much you think they are being taken advantage of.

Contrary to your petulant responses, the state this is so very important in just about every one of these situations that the people who run this forum INSERT IT IN EVERY NEW THREAD.
Your steadfast refusal to provide this information just wastes our time. You're the one who are abusing the volunteers here just as you assert the deadbeat son is doing to his parents.
I find it amusing how you presumed the deadbeat child is a son. Unfortunately, this is not the case, which makes it all the more hard for the parents to cut off the child. Anyways, thanks for the responses...and just a tip for next time to someone who responded earlier, don't tell the OP to mind his/her own business -- as I said earlier, sometimes info is changed so as to conceal the identities of those involved...so it may very well be my business!

Proserpina

I find it amusing how you presumed the deadbeat child is a son. Unfortunately, this is not the case, which makes it all the more hard for the parents to cut off the child. Anyways, thanks for the responses...and just a tip for next time to someone who responded earlier, don't tell the OP to mind his/her own business -- as I said earlier, sometimes info is changed so as to conceal the identities of those involved...so it may very well be my business!

This is not your business. The state is important.

A simple "no" is sufficient.

And you're a rude little upstart.

You're welcome.

Silverplum

Run along, and take your nose and attitude with you.

:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">