• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

finished relationship,loss of equity?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leea2166

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California. my question. i have been living with girlfriend going on five years in feb. her interest have changed to another man, i caught her. anyways, two years ago we had a major remodel done to the house, 180000. when we sat down with the contractor to start the remodel, i signed the contract along with the girlfriend. the contractor has been paid. if the first and second mortgage is in her name only, and so are the extra credit cards, am i entitled to any equity of the house, even if i have contributed to all the bills including the mortgages. thank you.

leea2166

finished relationship, loss of equity

How is title held? The mortgage has no bearing, only the title.
my name is not on any morgage, first or second. we lived together as boyfriend and girlfriend. i paid half of everything. so if my name is not on the title(deed) i have no equity from house. Then if that is the case, i assume i can just move out and not be obligated to any of the bills legally,? thank you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
my name is not on any morgage, first or second. we lived together as boyfriend and girlfriend. i paid half of everything. so if my name is not on the title(deed) i have no equity from house. Then if that is the case, i assume i can just move out and not be obligated to any of the bills legally,? thank you.
You are obligated to the bills your name is on. Did you two have an agreement regarding bills?

tranquility

The real answer is, it depends. You (or your partner) get nothing in palimony or rights because of the relationship. HOWEVER, there can be contracutal understandings within a relationship which can be enforced.

Do either of you claim any contractual relationships between the two of you?

leea2166

finished relationship, equity loss

You are obligated to the bills your name is on. Did you two have an agreement regarding bills?
we have no agreement with reqards to the bills. i know what she did was wrong and this was the second lie in two weeks that i have caught her at but i do feel some what obligated because i still care. call me stupid but its just me. thank you for all your time and help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">