• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Name Change & Slight Birthday Correction (Los Angeles)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnbarnesiii

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? -->California

Hello,

I'm interested in changing my first name as well as making a slight birthday correction (they made a mistake on my records when I was born, its around one month off, I have the original birth certificate which proves the date I'd be changing it to was my real actual birthday). I live in Los Angeles, however I was born in Lebanon.

What is the process and what are the steps I need to take for doing this in Los Angeles? Sounds like something I can do by myself without hiring a lawyer, but I just am not familiar with how or where to start and want to make sure I do this thoroughly and properly the first time around and cover all my bases.

Can I do both changes together or does one need to come first?

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? -->California

Hello,

I'm interested in changing my first name as well as making a slight birthday correction (they made a mistake on my records when I was born, its around one month off, I have the original birth certificate which proves the date I'd be changing it to was my real actual birthday). I live in Los Angeles, however I was born in Lebanon.

What is the process and what are the steps I need to take for doing this in Los Angeles? Sounds like something I can do by myself without hiring a lawyer, but I just am not familiar with how or where to start and want to make sure I do this thoroughly and properly the first time around and cover all my bases.

Can I do both changes together or does one need to come first?

Thanks in advance for any help with this!
Here are the instructions for an adult name change: http://www.courts.ca.gov/22489.htm

Changing your birth date will be very difficult and will have to be done by the folks that issued your birth certificate, not by the folks here in the US.

johnbarnesiii

Thanks Zigner for the first reply...

The name change is my first name only, a nickname that I've used since I was a kid. It's a slight name change, the first 2 letters being the same, the last 3 being different. The birthday correction is literally 3 weeks off, so both things are very slight adjustments. This is for practical purposes only. Yes I was born in another country but I am a US citizen and have been for over 20 years.

Everyone is entitled to their biases and I'll admit I laughed at the way this is being construed :) However sticking to the original question, I'd really appreciate any further info I can get on how the process works. Do I do both at the same time, or should one come first?

Thanks again for any further feedback.

justalayman

So how did your birthday end up being recorded differently when applying for everything you have in the US, starting with your immigration paperwork?

Especially given you have your original birth certificate which I presume you have always had, how was your immigration paperwork even processed with the obvious error?

You say an error was made on your birth records but you say your birth certificate (which is a birth record) is correct. What record are you now seeking to change given your actual birth certificate does show your correct date of birth? Typically your birth certificate would be used to prove your date of birth but you seem to be claiming it wasn't in your situation. Maybe explaining where and what happened that somewhere somebody recorded an incorrect date of birth might give some insight into your situation so you might recieve some direction to fix your problem.

As to the name change; you have been given direction on how to change your name.

johnbarnesiii

Hi justalayman,

To answer your questions:
I was born in a very unorganized country as far as government is concerned. They printed my ID card with an incorrect date (3 weeks off) and being in circumstances such as getting out of a war-torn country, there was no time to make this correction and furthermore in the midst of the craziness, my original birth certificate was misplaced. We were scrambling to get out of there, so many things were either left behind or missing. Thus I had to go with the date on my ID card, the erroneous one the government printed. That's how all my subsequent legal documents came to reflect a wrong date. In the absence of the original BC I felt unable to make this change.

Finally years later I just recently found the original birth certificate and now would like to update all my official documents such as drivers license, social security card, etc to reflect the true birthdate.

We all have our own biases I guess and I can see why, given what's going on in the world. Not sure what else I can say other than I'm an honest hardworking person like you all, looking to make these very minor adjustments for practical purposes... I have no other motivations.

I appreciate the info on the name change. Still I'm wondering do i need to hire an attorney to do these things or can I do them myself? Also do I do them together or does one need to come first?

justalayman

I would work on the birthdate correction first. Tossing in the name change may add a layer of complexity that could hinder the process

You would not need a lawyer for the name change

I would absolutely recommend a lawyer for the birth date issue.

johnbarnesiii

Thanks, that's a good point and I agree with you do do bday first then wait and do name change later. It seems simpler that way.

So approx how long do you think I should wait between the two processes?

justalayman

Thanks, that's a good point and I agree with you do do bday first then wait and do name change later. It seems simpler that way.

So approx how long do you think I should wait between the two processes?
No need to wait any longer than the time it takes to amend the records scattered about involving your birth date. Once that is accomplished file for the name change.

Silverplum

Hi justalayman,

To answer your questions:
I was born in a very unorganized country as far as government is concerned. They printed my ID card with an incorrect date (3 weeks off) and being in circumstances such as getting out of a war-torn country, there was no time to make this correction and furthermore in the midst of the craziness, my original birth certificate was misplaced. We were scrambling to get out of there, so many things were either left behind or missing. Thus I had to go with the date on my ID card, the erroneous one the government printed. That's how all my subsequent legal documents came to reflect a wrong date. In the absence of the original BC I felt unable to make this change.

Finally years later I just recently found the original birth certificate and now would like to update all my official documents such as drivers license, social security card, etc to reflect the true birthdate.

We all have our own biases I guess and I can see why, given what's going on in the world. Not sure what else I can say other than I'm an honest hardworking person like you all, looking to make these very minor adjustments for practical purposes... I have no other motivations.

I appreciate the info on the name change. Still I'm wondering do i need to hire an attorney to do these things or can I do them myself? Also do I do them together or does one need to come first?
Twice you wrote that I/we have a "bias" without defining what that "bias" may be, and why I/we may have such a "bias." You seem to think that by using that word, bias, we will fall at your feet and give you a new American passport with a new American birth certificate and a new name.

Go right ahead. Define it. Tell us how we're biased and why. I've got all day, and I have no guilt or shame for my position on your "problem."

:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">