• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida - joint tenance or community property state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AndyO

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Is Florida considered a joint tenance or community state? We are trying to resolve some credit issues and this information would be very helpful.

Thanks

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Is Florida considered a joint tenance or community state? We are trying to resolve some credit issues and this information would be very helpful.

Thanks
It is not community property for marriage division.

AndyO

Thanks for the response. The issue I am dealing with is unsecured debt. Can the credit card companies come after any of my assets? Woud I be better off putting them in my wifes name?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thanks for the response. The issue I am dealing with is unsecured debt. Can the credit card companies come after any of my assets? Woud I be better off putting them in my wifes name?
Sorry. I don't tell people how to avoid their legal responsibilities.

AndyO

Very smug. The debt I ran up was for travel expenses for the company that laid me off and went into bankruptcy. I am screwed to the tume of 30k. Since I have been unable to find work for close to a year and my 401k money is just about gone I do not have many options. I am trying to settle with the credit card company. I am just worried about being blind sided.

Thanks

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Very smug. The debt I ran up was for travel expenses for the company that laid me off and went into bankruptcy. I am screwed to the tume of 30k. Since I have been unable to find work for close to a year and my 401k money is just about gone I do not have many options. I am trying to settle with the credit card company. I am just worried about being blind sided.

Thanks
just honest. For one, if you ran up the expenses on your credit card then you are responsible for paying them back. If you ran them up on a company credit card then you aren't.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyO

Interesting point of view. I now feel really bad for the credit card companies charging 27% interest. I also feel bad for the execs of my old company who bailed with golden parachutes before it all crashed. You are right I should pay back all the money that the conpany made me put on my own card and never reimbursed me for.

Thanks - last post

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">