• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foreigner getting married in AZ!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JukeBox!

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

Hi there,

After doing some research on the web, I wasn't able to find any special requirements for foreigners marrying US citizens in AZ. Other than a passport with a valid visa (in this case tourist), what other document does the foreigner need to provide? Also, how long until a green card is issued so the foreigner can work?

Thanks much in advance!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
A green card is not issued automatically due to marriage. Y'all have to file for it. Suggest you do some research on the site for what used to be known as INS. Google is your friend.

JukeBox!

A green card is not issued automatically due to marriage. Y'all have to file for it. Suggest you do some research on the site for what used to be known as INS. Google is your friend.
Thanks for the quick response. I know it is not automatic and that forms need to be filled out by both parties. I guess I should have been more specific. Once those forms are filled out, what's the average wait? Also, any word on what kind of document the foreigner needs to present to marry in AZ?

Thanks once again.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
No clue. We did it from abroad after we were married in the US. I regret it to this day. LOL

asiny

Thanks for the quick response. I know it is not automatic and that forms need to be filled out by both parties. I guess I should have been more specific. Once those forms are filled out, what's the average wait? Also, any word on what kind of document the foreigner needs to present to marry in AZ?

Thanks once again.
The first thing you need to do is research. Is the foreigner holding a valid visa for their stay in the U.S.? What is the visa? The INS does not look too kindly on those who marry- then file. You should file first- the paperwork can take over 1 year. if you post in the IMMIGRATION forum you may get better answers when you post in the right place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">