• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

freeloading nephews

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA my sister has 2 worthless sons, age 26 and 40. they stay at her house, she has served eviction papers once (last year i think) and they came right back shortly after being served. she is afraid of them, they do not hit, but the verbal abuse and bullying is out of control. they, in the past, stole just about everything she had, sold it or pawned it. i believe under GA law, you can't "re-evict" someone. she checked on restraining orders, but it says that you have to have proof of physical violence. she is staying with me, this is the second time that they have basically run her out of her own home. the first time it was pretty cold out and she had the power cut off, but they still stayed. they both are addicts and contribute absolutely nothing to her. what other, if any, recourse does she have to legally get them out of her house? if she calls the police, and they get arrested, it will just be short lived..they would be back as soon as they got out of jail. they know she is afraid of them and play it to the hilt. :mad:

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA my sister has 2 worthless sons, age 26 and 40. they stay at her house, she has served eviction papers once (last year i think) and they came right back shortly after being served. she is afraid of them, they do not hit, but the verbal abuse and bullying is out of control. they, in the past, stole just about everything she had, sold it or pawned it. i believe under GA law, you can't "re-evict" someone. she checked on restraining orders, but it says that you have to have proof of physical violence. she is staying with me, this is the second time that they have basically run her out of her own home. the first time it was pretty cold out and she had the power cut off, but they still stayed. they both are addicts and contribute absolutely nothing to her. what other, if any, recourse does she have to legally get them out of her house? if she calls the police, and they get arrested, it will just be short lived..they would be back as soon as they got out of jail. they know she is afraid of them and play it to the hilt. :mad:
How far did the eviction process go last year when she had them served? Did they actually follow through and do the dispossessory order?

Either way, your sister ALLOWED them to move back in to the house. Maybe she didn't say they could, but by not doing something sooner, she condoned their actions. The minute they came back onto the property, she should have called the police to have them removed from the property as trespassers.

I would suggest that she call police and have them removed NOW. If there is drug activity going on in the house, SHE can be held liable for whatever happens since it is HER home. That can also be used to her advantage when getting the police to remove them.

How far did the eviction process go last year when she had them served? Did they actually follow through and do the dispossessory order?

Either way, your sister ALLOWED them to move back in to the house. Maybe she didn't say they could, but by not doing something sooner, she condoned their actions. The minute they came back onto the property, she should have called the police to have them removed from the property as trespassers.

I would suggest that she call police and have them removed NOW. If there is drug activity going on in the house, SHE can be held liable for whatever happens since it is HER home. That can also be used to her advantage when getting the police to remove them.
no drug activity IN the house, they have their crack houses that they visit.... and they came back in whether she allowed it or not...i have told her repeatedly to call the cops, but most of the time, one of them had her phone...most of the time they had the keys to her van, and/or it was torn up or out of gas. we are looking into what options she has now to get rid of them. there has to be some way to get them out. otherwise, what the law is saying is screw you, tough stuff...you let them be there....

Silverplum

no drug activity IN the house, they have their crack houses that they visit.... and they came back in whether she allowed it or not...i have told her repeatedly to call the cops, but most of the time, one of them had her phone...most of the time they had the keys to her van, and/or it was torn up or out of gas. we are looking into what options she has now to get rid of them. there has to be some way to get them out. otherwise, what the law is saying is screw you, tough stuff...you let them be there....
No, that is not what "the law is saying."

Her options are exactly as stated previously: have them legally evicted. Call the cops when they arrive. Don't allow herself to be overrun by her own sons.

She can't protect them and herself, too. She's letting them get away with this behavior: the buck stops at her door.

Proserpina

She cut off the power while her two tenants remained there?

She's lucky SHE didn't end up in legal trouble.

She cut off the power while her two tenants remained there?

She's lucky SHE didn't end up in legal trouble.
tenants pay rent....freeloaders don't....she moved out (they bullied her out) and since she wasn't going to be there, why pay a power bill.. she had it cut off, they got back in and stayed....

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Maybe Mom should be here posting about Mom's problems instead of Mom's sister posting about Mom's problems.

To forestall any excuses:
  • Libraries offer free internet access to their patrons.
  • The Forum is open 24/7/365 barring database/server errors.
  • There is no typing speed test to perform before posting.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Honestly - your sister needs to grow a pair. And maybe think about how both of her sons got to be so useless.

Wrong.

You don't have to be paying rent to be a tenant.
too bad they didn't call the police then...i have all ideas my sister would have been fine and they would have gone to jail...when they saw me yesterday, they actually turned the car around in the middle of the highway and sped off...

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
too bad they didn't call the police then...i have all ideas my sister would have been fine and they would have gone to jail...when they saw me yesterday, they actually turned the car around in the middle of the highway and sped off...
So? Truthfully, your sister is responsible for this situation. She has allowed her children to run the house and allowed them to move back in. If she would have called the police when they showed up after eviction and not allowed them to move in, she wouldn't have this problem. She needs to grow up and take responsibility for her actions/choices/decisions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">