• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend is in a bad situation...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheKevster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida (Spain and its laws might also be concerned)

Hi, first off I am not involved in my friends situation in any way other than just being a shoulder to cry on.

My friend is 20 years old, lives here in Florida, and came from Spain with her family around 2-3 years back. She married back in Spain and has been with her husband for I think around 3+ years. Her husband does not currently live in the U.S. and is not a U.S. citizen. She is also currently attending college here and that along with her relationships within our group of friends is really her only reason to be living right now. Her parents beat her for whatever reasons (she claims its because her father is a sexist douchebag that clings to old-world beliefs and that her mother is powerless to stop him, or she might not want to...). Her family loves her husband more than her and has been having recent conversations with him where he has expressed his opinion about the idea that my friend is cheating on him because she spends too much time away from her family where they can watch her every move. Her husband refuses to spend any money on my friend and her family is reluctant to. As far as I can tell, she has no desire to stay with him and it seemed to me that he is using her to gain citizenship. The biggest problem of all is that she desperately wants out of the situation, and if she were to take objection to either her family or her husband, she would be disowned and kicked out on the streets, no longer having a place to sleep and more importantly, not being able to attend college anymore. I'm wondering what she could possibly do to avoid that outcome, again keeping in mind that she wants to put as much distance as possible between her and her family, and probably husband. Is there any way she can divorce her husband without consequence, and stand up to her parents when they threaten to redact payments to the school?

single317dad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida (Spain and its laws might also be concerned)

Hi, first off I am not involved in my friends situation in any way other than just being a shoulder to cry on.

My friend is 20 years old, lives here in Florida, and came from Spain with her family around 2-3 years back. She married back in Spain and has been with her husband for I think around 3+ years. Her husband does not currently live in the U.S. and is not a U.S. citizen. She is also currently attending college here and that along with her relationships within our group of friends is really her only reason to be living right now. Her parents beat her for whatever reasons (she claims its because her father is a sexist douchebag that clings to old-world beliefs and that her mother is powerless to stop him, or she might not want to...). Her family loves her husband more than her and has been having recent conversations with him where he has expressed his opinion about the idea that my friend is cheating on him because she spends too much time away from her family where they can watch her every move. Her husband refuses to spend any money on my friend and her family is reluctant to. As far as I can tell, she has no desire to stay with him and it seemed to me that he is using her to gain citizenship. The biggest problem of all is that she desperately wants out of the situation, and if she were to take objection to either her family or her husband, she would be disowned and kicked out on the streets, no longer having a place to sleep and more importantly, not being able to attend college anymore. I'm wondering what she could possibly do to avoid that outcome, again keeping in mind that she wants to put as much distance as possible between her and her family, and probably husband. Is there any way she can divorce her husband without consequence, and stand up to her parents when they threaten to redact payments to the school?
Time for your "friend" to be a big girl and sever all the negative relationships. If the parents decide to cut off the trust fund, so be it. If she stays around just to get the money, she deserves the consequences.

ecmst12

Pretty much. She doesn't have to stay with her parents or stay married to her husband. She ABSOLUTELY does not need to assist him in moving to the US or getting citizenship (and shouldn't). But if she wants her parents to keep paying for college, she's kind of stuck for the moment. If she's willing to get a job and pay her own way through school and life, then she can get free of her family. And I would certainly encourage her to do so. But there's just no way that anyone is going to force her parents to pay for school if they don't want to, no matter how evil they are.

sandyclaus

Your friend has a choice to make. She can accept het parent's controls and do as they wish, or she can choose to do what's best for HER. Both choices come with obvious consequences.

If she displeased her parents, they will almost certainly disown her and cut her off. If she does what they expect, then she gets to continue school and be unhappy.

There doesn't seem to be a compromise where she gets to have her cake and eat it, too. As an adult, she can't force her parents to continue supporting her, providing her living expenses and school tuition.

What is her immigration status? Is she living here and attending school under a family-based visa?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">