• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting Ex Spouses name off car title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I paid off my vehicle last month and just received my title in the mail with mine and my ex husband's name on it, written as:

"My name OR Ex-husband's name"

This vehicle was purchased in July 2005. We separated in April 2006, divorce finalized June 2006. I never had vehicle refinanced out of his name due to our home going into forclosure during divorce and ending up with a horrible credit rating.

I have paid on the vehicle over 5 years with my own funds and have statements/bank account information to document proof.

My questions are:

1.) What is the standard procedure to have title taken out of spouse's name if he willingly agrees (which I am counting on)?

2.) Should he not agree, and expect portion of any future sales money on vehicle, what procedures do I take to have his name taken off title?

Silverplum

http://lmgtfy.com/

http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/titles/faq.htm

I paid off my vehicle last month and just received my title in the mail with mine and my ex husband's name on it, written as:

This vehicle was purchased in July 2005. We separated in April 2006, divorce finalized June 2006. I never had vehicle refinanced out of his name due to our home going into forclosure during divorce and ending up with a horrible credit rating.

I have paid on the vehicle over 5 years with my own funds and have statements/bank account information to document proof.

My questions are:

1.) What is the standard procedure to have title taken out of spouse's name if he willingly agrees (which I am counting on)?

2.) Should he not agree, and expect portion of any future sales money on vehicle, what procedures do I take to have his name taken off title?
:rolleyes:

LdiJ

My questions are:

Actually because it says "or" instead of "and" you really have less of a problem than you would have if it had said "and". You can sell the car on your own, or turn it in as a trade-in, on your own, without getting his signature.

If the car was awarded to you in the property settlement agreement, then he cannot make any claim on any of the proceeds.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">