+ Reply to Thread

Getting Ex Spouses name off car title

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I paid off my vehicle last month and just received my title in the mail with mine and my ex husband's name on it, written as:

"My name OR Ex-husband's name"

This vehicle was purchased in July 2005. We separated in April 2006, divorce finalized June 2006. I never had vehicle refinanced out of his name due to our home going into forclosure during divorce and ending up with a horrible credit rating.

I have paid on the vehicle over 5 years with my own funds and have statements/bank account information to document proof.

My questions are:

1.) What is the standard procedure to have title taken out of spouse's name if he willingly agrees (which I am counting on)?

2.) Should he not agree, and expect portion of any future sales money on vehicle, what procedures do I take to have his name taken off title?
    Silverplum is offline Senior Member
    On the many roads of Pueblo & Colorado Springs, CO
    http://lmgtfy.com/

http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/titles/faq.htm

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMommy1803 View Post

I paid off my vehicle last month and just received my title in the mail with mine and my ex husband's name on it, written as:

This vehicle was purchased in July 2005. We separated in April 2006, divorce finalized June 2006. I never had vehicle refinanced out of his name due to our home going into forclosure during divorce and ending up with a horrible credit rating.

I have paid on the vehicle over 5 years with my own funds and have statements/bank account information to document proof.

My questions are:

1.) What is the standard procedure to have title taken out of spouse's name if he willingly agrees (which I am counting on)?

2.) Should he not agree, and expect portion of any future sales money on vehicle, what procedures do I take to have his name taken off title?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverplum View Post
    [url=http://lmgtfy.com/]Let me google that for you[/url]

[url=http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/titles/faq.htm]Title FAQs[/url]

Ha. Thank you for the second web address, just what I needed.
    Silverplum is offline Senior Member
    On the many roads of Pueblo & Colorado Springs, CO
    Ha. Thank you for the second web address, just what I needed.
    I GOOGLED it.

Point being, YOU can google, too!
    LdiJ is offline Senior Member

My questions are:

Actually because it says "or" instead of "and" you really have less of a problem than you would have if it had said "and". You can sell the car on your own, or turn it in as a trade-in, on your own, without getting his signature.

If the car was awarded to you in the property settlement agreement, then he cannot make any claim on any of the proceeds.