• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting married while legally seperated from another person

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gruenes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho.

I have been legally separated going on 2 years now. The divorce was filed in California on August 10 2008. I now live in Idaho. And would like to get married to a Canadian gal ASAP. I filed my Federal taxes as Single. Can we get married? I had no children or assets to divide up. We have a court date to determine spousal support as I put her through 12 years of medical school. Trying to figure out why I am being held hostage to a bankrupt government that has cases backed up for years and fur lows its judges.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

I have been legally separated going on 2 years now. The divorce was filed in California on August 10 2008. I now live in Idaho. And would like to get married to a Canadian gal ASAP. I filed my Federal taxes as Single. Can we get married? I had no children or assets to divide up. We have a court date to determine spousal support as I put her through 12 years of medical school. Trying to figure out why I am being held hostage to a bankrupt government that has cases backed up for years and fur lows its judges.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

No.

You cannot get married without first being legally divorced.

It really is that simple.

TinkerBelleLuvr

I filed my Federal taxes as Single.
Yer married dude/ dudette. Do you have dependents that would allow you to claim head of household? If not, your LEGAL choices on filing status are married, filing jointly OR married, filing separately. Anything else is well, FRAUD.

CourtClerk

I hope you aren't speaking of CA, because CA hasn't furloughed ONE judge.. not one in this whole big ole state. Judges, as elected officials CAN'T be furloughed (or fur low as you said). That's the law.

Second, I don't know which court you are talking about, but as of our last meeting, there wasn't one court that had a year long backlog. So let's not use ficitious statements to rationalize why you want to be a bigamist.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">