• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

giving up parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tomcandi

hi iam trying to find out how to give up my parental rights on my son from a previous relationship? i don't ever see him he don't want to see me and iam getting ready to move 800 miles away i feel this is the best thing to do! i live in oregon. does she have to agree is it long and hard process.please help

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

tomcandi said:
hi iam trying to find out how to give up my parental rights on my son from a previous relationship? i don't ever see him he don't want to see me and iam getting ready to move 800 miles away i feel this is the best thing to do! i live in oregon. does she have to agree is it long and hard process.please help
My response:

There is no court in this country that will allow you to "give up" parental rights, and your obligations of support to that child, unless there is someone else willing to adopt that child, and to support that child in your place.

The reason for this is simple. The State has you by the collar to pay for support. If the State were to allow you to give up your parental responsibilities voluntarily, then there's every chance that your child could become a "burden to the taxpayers" - - e.g., Welfare, Food Stamps, Aid to Families with Dependant Children, etc.

If it were simple, then every father or mother would "give up their rights" and we'd have a country full of taxpayer supported children - - wouldn't we.

Even though you're moving 800 miles away, you can still use an envelope and a stamp to send your monthly child support money to the mother.

The State doesn't want to pay for your child and, as a taxpayer, neither do I.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">