• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Giving Up Parental Rights of my Son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sikoraisadora

My son, who is now 14 has had a history of mental illness. He is both suicidal and homicidal. He is now in a Psychiatric Hospital - which we had hoped would help him, but instead, he has brainwashed the hospital into thinking he is a little angel and together they are trying to lie and charge us with child abuse and neglect - child protective services has been callled. We do not abuse or neglect our son. We have always bought him everything he has ever wanted - within reason - what we can afford. He has practically everything, color TV, VCR, a new Futon Bed, his own room, etc. etc. etc. He wants name brand clothing and $150.00 shoes which I probably could afford, but it is the principle of the matter - he already has very nice clothes - he picks them out himself, and the $150.00 shoes - well the $150.00 could be used on lots of other things! IF HE DOES NOT GET WHAT HE WANTS - HE GOES INTO HIS MENTAL ILLNESS RAGES AND WE ARE NOT ONLY AFRAID FOR HIS SAFETY, BUT FOR OUR SAFETY AS WELL - THERE ARE 3 OTHER CHILDREN IN OUR HOME AND MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE BEEN HAPPILY MARRIED FOR 18 YEARS!.

I am thinking about retaining a lawyer, to give up parental rights - because it is obvious there is no satisfying him and one of these days one of us is going to be seriously if not fatally hurt by him.

Please help! What is the best thing to do?

Q

qtpie

Because your son is only 14 and is not old enough to be employable and self-supporting, you cannot have your rights terminated and no judge is going to emancipate a 14 year old.

I would definitely call a few Family Law attorneys and go in and ask some questions. Most initial consultations are free or there is a nominal charge.

This has got to be a very frustrating situation for you. I know of a young man who was totally spoiled, got whatever he wanted, got mixed up with the wrong crowd, got into trouble time and time again, and now where is he? PRISON-for about 10 years (if he's lucky!) You and the rest of your family members should not live in fear though. Check out your options with an attorney in your area. And get more than one opinion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">