• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents raising the children../Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DOT257

My husband's daughter signed a paper (not through the courts) of legal guardianship of her two children over to us, until her standard of living and financial situation improves. She has two children by two different fathers. Both fathers are on the birth certificates, but neither one had married my stepdaughter.
One of the fathers is very much involved with their child's life while the child lives with us. We trust he is a good father and is always looking out what is best for his child.
The other father which is still with my stepdaughter, on again off again relationship, where there is drugs and domestic abuse involved, wants visitation rights for his child.
When we took the children in to live with us, they both understood that we were giving them the opportunity to straighten up their lives. Father number two moved to Wisconsin, after a month we learned my stepdaughter went with him without our knowledge, After 5 months she returned to her home state. The father returned last month. We want both parents to become stable and drug free before the children are back with them, or involved with them in anyway. Therefore we choose to put our life on hold to raise their children while they worked on improving their standard of living.
My stepdaughter and father number two has not taken any measures in getting help for their addiction, nor has either one had a steady job since the 8 months we've had the children. Now that their relationship is in the off mode, father number two is calling us demanding in seeing his child. Just a reminder, we had separated the children from their lives, due to the lifestyle they choose to live, neither one was bothered with it until their latest breakup.
We have supported his child from day one, and never in the 8 months, has this father offered a cent towards the raising of his child. Now he is offering to pay child support to see his child. I guess he feels he can buy his child. We do not trust him, he is a violence person, and can not work with him, for we are afraid he will use the child as a pawn to get to the mother as he did in the past. We have allowed him to call his child and speak to him on phone. I know it's time to go through the courts, should we seek legal support now or wait for the father to seek legal support and then fight it. Any dealing I want with this man is through the courts for we do not trust him, and would very much like to show he is an unfit father along with the mother due to drug abuse. Thank you for any help you can give us.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">