• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

guardianship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

michelle3b

What is the name of your state? Oregon

My husband and I have Co- Guardianship of a minor child

The child is entilted to ssi benefits,after the birth the birth parents told us that they opted not to put the child on ssi as this would lower the benefits ot the other children. is ths possible ?

ellencee

Yes, it is possible. Under SS benefits, a specific amount of money is available for the support of children and this amount is divided by the number of children and issued in each child's name. Example: $400 a month for the children of a family would be issued in equal payments for the benefit of each child--4 children would get $100 each; 1 child would get $400.
If I am assuming correctly that you have physical guardianship of the minor child (living with you), then the child's financial needs are based on your income and not on the birth parents' income. Unless your family qualifies for assistance, there will be no benefits available for the child unless the child lives with you but is supported by the birth parents. That would be a difficult situation with SS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">