• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

guardianship of 14 yr old niece

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tinkham5

What is the name of your state? illinois

i am very concerned about my niece. she is making herself throw up. she has attempted suicide twice which her mother is not aware of, and she has ran away. she lived with my husband and i for three months and thrived. her mother is emotionally unstable. she is constantly telling the child she doesn't want her and all of my sisters problems are because of my niece. she has missed a lot of school since she went back home and now her mom is letting her miss two to three days a week so that she can go to this troubled childrens school. the child is not troubled, there is no attention or love towards her. my sister will not let her come back here because she states she belongs at home with her. my niece is miserable and i want her back with me. the biological father says it is my sisters decision what happens with her. my niece ran away and the police brought her home. my sisiter just screamed at her and the police stood there. my sister threatened to put my niece in a foster home. i cannot allow that. my sister hits and throws stuff at her husband. she screams all the time at my niece. her other children come and go as they please with no discipline. how can i obtain custody of my niece and help her before she runs away again or worse, is successful in commiting suicide.

A

amc822

Are there any records (medical or police) showing that she tried to commit suicide twice? If your sister is threatening to put her in a foster home that's actually good for you because the court will usually try to place a child with family before a foster home. Have you called Protective Services, has anyone? Have you spoken to anyone at the school? If you really want your niece start calling around and be persistent.

T

tinkham5

GUARDIANSHIP OF 14YR OLD NIECE

NO POLICE OR MEDICAL RECORDS OF HER ATTEMPTING SUICIDE. SHE CONFIDED IT ONE NIGHT TO MY DAUGHTER. THE SCHOOL TOLD MY SISTER HOW TO GET HER INTO THIS SCHOOL. THEY ARE HELPING HER NOT ME. MY SISTER SHOWS SOME SIGNS OF BIPOLAR DISORDER BUT, SHE GETS SO ENRAGED WHEN YOU APPROACH HER THAT ALL OF THE FAMILY HAS BASICALLY BACKED OFF TO KEEP THE PEACE. NOT SURE WHAT MY RIGHTS ARE OR HOW TO GET MY NIECE AND MY SISTER SOME HELP. MY SISTER SCREAMS THINGS AT FAMILY MEMBERS AND THEN 1/2 HOUR LATER EVERYTHING IS PEACHY KEEN AND SAYS WE MISUNDERSTOOD HER.

A

amc822

If you believe your sister is an unfit mother because of untreated bipolar disorder and you want your niece then you will have to prove it in court. You have no rights by law to have custody of your niece. It will be ugly and messy but hopefully the end result, either your sister getting treated and/or your niece getting a functional environment to live in, will be worth it. As far as everyone backing off to keep the peace with your sister that is child neglect on their part. Do something for this kid! It sounds like you're the only one willing to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">