• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guardianship for adult son with mental illness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phlickey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
I have an adult son who was diagnosed with mental illness six years ago and has had a relapse after 18 months without medication. He did voluntarily commit this time but not sure he will the next time. He also needs a legal voice in getting social security benefits (which he has applied for in past and not received) and medicaid since he can't work. I should add that he is also in denial that he has mental problems.
I need advice on getting legal guardianship quickly to help him with these legal matters. I do not want to assume any financial matters, only have a voice when he is delusional and a danger to himself. How do I go about this without spending a fortune in legal fees. I should add that I have terminal breast cancer which has spread to my bones and my husband is a cancer survivor also. We need to get benefits going for him and allow him to get a place of his own and become somewhat self sufficient while we still have time.
Thank you for any help you can give.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">