• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guardianship of Mentally Ill Mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

constantsorrow

What is the name of your state? New York

My father passed away a year ago. I took care of my younger brother in Texas while my aunt (mom's sister) obtained guardianship of my mentally ill mother in the state of Maine. My mom then moved to NY and started taking her medicine. She is now well and competent.

Questions:
#1) Did my aunt's guardianship automatically transfer to NY? I think NY has tougher rules for being appointed guardian. My aunt claims that they did transfer.

#2) My mother is quite well off and would like to pay for my brother's college education (bro is 23). My Aunt claims she is the guardian and does not want my mother to help her son. My mom still has control over her own finances (so I don't think my Aunt is conservator). Is my Aunt able to prevent my mother from helping her son?

#3) My Aunt wants to limit the amount of money we receive from my father's estate (even though our mother would like us to have some). Does she have any say in this at all? (I was appointed administrator of my dad's estate).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">