• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guardianship of Minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

asegall

I am in CA
I have temporary guardianship over my cousin's 2 year old daughter. He lives in West Viriginia, I live in California. I flew to WV and got her along with a notarized temporary guardianship form from him 3 weeks ago. Prior to this trip - the only contact I have had with him has been long-distance over the phone and internet. Since I have brought her back with me, I have discovered he has other children as well, with other people around the country and the environment I brought her from was filfthy and she suffered from neglect. He is now marrying a prostitute who has had her children taken from her by the state of WV and he wants to get his daughter back in August. What do I need to do to make the temporary status of my guardianship permanent so that she is not taken back into that environment? He is also continuing to receive her welfare payments even though she is no longer in the state.

Last edited:

ecmst12

You are going to have a LONG uphill battle for this, you need a lawyer in the parent's state.

Last edited:

asegall

ok thank you. If he is already being investigated by CPS in WV - will that make the process any easier?

asegall

The child's mother signed away her parental rights at birth - as she has done with all 4 of her children and plans to do with the one she is pregnant with.

The mother and father were both married to other people at the time of her birth and have a 4 month old baby together - but are not married to each other. The father is not trying to keep any of his children either. He does not want to be married to the mother and is saying he is going to marry a on/off girlfriend in May who is a prostitue. The mother suffers from permanent brain damage due to a car wreck she was in but continues to have children and sign away her rights.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The mother will need to be contacted about this. Absent an adoption, the mother still has rights.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The child's mother signed away her parental rights at birth - as she has done with all 4 of her children and plans to do with the one she is pregnant with.

The mother and father were both married to other people at the time of her birth and have a 4 month old baby together - but are not married to each other. The father is not trying to keep any of his children either. He does not want to be married to the mother and is saying he is going to marry a on/off girlfriend in May who is a prostitue. The mother suffers from permanent brain damage due to a car wreck she was in but continues to have children and sign away her rights.
The only way that could have happened was if father's wife adopted. Was paternity EVER established for your nephew AND disestablished for mother's husband? You need an attorney.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The mother will need to be contacted about this. Absent an adoption, the mother still has rights.
When did OP's nephew ESTABLISH paternity and mother's HUSBAND disestablish? That is something else that is an issue.

asegall

Yes, paternity has been established. The current wife of nephew never wanted anything to do with the children - and has not been in the home since the 2 year old was born. The mother signed away her rights at the hospital at birth. The 2 year old has lived with her birth father and his 4 male roomates since she came home from the hospital.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
One last time - the MOTHER of the child will need to be contacted.

Good day and good luck.

asegall

ok, thank you. I really want to know what I am up against so that I can do the best for this child. I realize there are all kinds of laws that I need to be informed about. I also realize that this is going to be a difficult process. All I want is information to help me do the right thing.

Just Blue

ok, thank you. I really want to know what I am up against so that I can do the best for this child. I realize there are all kinds of laws that I need to be informed about. I also realize that this is going to be a difficult process. All I want is information to help me do the right thing.
We realize that. That is why you are being told to get a GOOD adoption attorney to assist you.

Really..Best of luck and please update us to this case.

Blue:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">