• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

guardianship of parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

darleneprice

What is the name of your state? TX

what does it take to get guardianship of a parent who cannot take care of himself but thinks he can?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

darleneprice said:
What is the name of your state? TX

what does it take to get guardianship of a parent who cannot take care of himself but thinks he can?

My response:

This is a Constitutional question, whereby you're attempting to take away the rights and freedoms from someone, and place yourself into the position of being able to make choices for that person.

It's a very touchy situation - - obviously, especially when our Federal Constitution states in it's preamble - -

"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

And, from our Declaration of Independence:

"We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness . . ."

I have said the above so you can better understand the "gravity" of what you'll be asking the court to do, and to decide.

Taking away someone's freedoms is never an easy task. You'll have to file a Petition for "Conservatorship" in your nearest Family law court. The court, if there's "probable cause", will order psychological testing of the person and hold a full blown hearing concerning your reasons, your abilities, and your motives.

There's far, far more to it, but you get the flavor and gist.

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">