• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guardianship of a sibling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rdmtl20

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I live in PA, but this will occur in NY.

I am 22 years old and looking to gain guardianship of my 15, soon to be 16 year old sister. Our mother has cancer and the outcome is not looking great. My sister's father, my step-father, is basically an alcoholic. He works, but drinks from the time he comes home till bed. If god forbid, I do lose my mom, I don't think he will take good care of my sister, he barely does now. Are there any thoughts to this? I know it might be a stretch, but I don't want to leave her there with him.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

It will be difficult to prevent custody from going to her dad. Your mom should talk to a lawyer now, while she is still here and of sound mind, for advice on how to proceed. There will be a high burden of proof on you/her to show that the dad is unfit, and an equally high burden to show that you are MORE fit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">